Register Now
StaceyPowers

How tedious is too tedious?

I was noting @DylanC talking about finding Control tedious. 

It occurs to me that one person’s tedious could be another person’s relaxing—or that a feature that feels tedious one day could feel relaxing the next, even for a single gamer.

So how tedious is too tedious? What makes something feel tedious to you? When do you cross the threshold from “mindless fun” to “frustrating?” Are there games other people find tedious that you enjoy, or vice versa?

I have noticed that a lot of it for me comes down to my mood and mental resources as much as anything, especially when something is right on the edge of being too tedious, but isn’t necessarily there. Context changes things too. For example:

-Grinding in an MMO by myself usually is tedious. But grinding with a fun party can be relaxing.

-Most of the time, I find Skyrim’s repetitious dungeons relaxing and enjoyable, along with its short little uninvolved side quests. But sometimes, my brain seems to find them tedious, I think usually when a silly desire to “get the next thing accomplished, and the next, and the next!” sets in.

Usually the things I find tedious 100% of the time involve needing to be very precise with something involving timing or placement of objects, or both. Or solving a puzzle which requires a lot of steps and patience, but which doesn’t have any obvious underlying “logic” or “cleverness” to it—just trying every possible combination of things methodically until it is done.

21 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, exactly. It seems that up to a point, “tedious” can actually induce a relaxing flow state. But past a certain point, it converts into an unwanted, stressful experience.

It also reaches a point where it cures your insomnia and you don't really want games to reach that stage...