Register Now
StaceyPowers

Pros and cons of camping

@killamch89, @kingpotato and @Alyxx  were discussing camping in FPS games. Camping is largely frowned upon, but loads of people do still do it.

What do you think of campers and camping?

Personally, I don’t mind it all that much. As annoying as a camper can be, to me, he has a legit tactical advantage, and there should be a way I can beat him.

Plus, sometimes there are maps where a camping spot is so advantageous that gameplay can revolve around taking and holding that spot and it can get to be pretty entertaining. There’s a map in Q3A which always comes to mind that has a BFG in a small room that you can enter via water below or a teleporter. Usually team gameplay revolves around holding that one room.

32 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

@killamch89, @kingpotato and @Alyxx  were discussing camping in FPS games. Camping is largely frowned upon, but loads of people do still do it.

What do you think of campers and camping?

Personally, I don’t mind it all that much. As annoying as a camper can be, to me, he has a legit tactical advantage, and there should be a way I can beat him.

Plus, sometimes there are maps where a camping spot is so advantageous that gameplay can revolve around taking and holding that spot and it can get to be pretty entertaining. There’s a map in Q3A which always comes to mind that has a BFG in a small room that you can enter via water below or a teleporter. Usually team gameplay revolves around holding that one room.

It depends on your role especially in an fps. If you are the sniper then camping would work to your advantage and I'd be more inclined to understand why that particular player is camping. Otherwise, I don't usually support that kind of gameplay. The only other game where I'd say it is kind of acceptable was in Planetside 2 when planning attacks on specific bases with 100s of players. For instance, by camping the teleport/transportation room you prevent the enemy from being able to move around/escape/guard the base if you manage to take it over completely.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, killamch89 said:

It depends on your role especially in an fps. If you are the sniper then camping would work to your advantage and I'd be more inclined to understand why that particular player is camping. Otherwise, I don't usually support that kind of gameplay. The only other game where I'd say it is kind of acceptable was in Planetside 2 when planning attacks on specific bases with 100s of players. For instance, by camping the teleport/transportation room you prevent the enemy from being able to move around/escape/guard the base if you manage to take it over completely.

Yeah, I am not sure how one is meant to be a sniper who doesn't camp. Then again, I am always getting killed by people with amazing aim with the rail gun in Q3A while they are leaping about. I am just a terrible aim, and can only snipe if I can sit still somewhere heh. And yeah! The Planetside 2 scenario you mention is the sort of tactical situation where for me it can end up being fun rather than just problematic. 

8 hours ago, kingpotato said:

PROS: you get to kill a lot of people and thats always good
CONS: If you are the type of idiot like me that goes running around the map then you are going to get killed by the camper

ROFL, great image. I also usually run and gun. The bad thing for me is that I do it very predictably. In a circle. Over and over again. Sometimes to try and throw them off, I change directions =D But I just don't like running around pell mell. I like getting into a rhythm and optimizing how I pick up items and get from place to place. As you might expect, I do better fighting bots. With real people it's, "Okay, she's about to come running around that corner ..."

On 10/31/2019 at 6:29 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, I am not sure how one is meant to be a sniper who doesn't camp. Then again, I am always getting killed by people with amazing aim with the rail gun in Q3A while they are leaping about. I am just a terrible aim, and can only snipe if I can sit still somewhere heh. And yeah! The Planetside 2 scenario you mention is the sort of tactical situation where for me it can end up being fun rather than just problematic. 

ROFL, great image. I also usually run and gun. The bad thing for me is that I do it very predictably. In a circle. Over and over again. Sometimes to try and throw them off, I change directions =D But I just don't like running around pell mell. I like getting into a rhythm and optimizing how I pick up items and get from place to place. As you might expect, I do better fighting bots. With real people it's, "Okay, she's about to come running around that corner ..."

Planetside 2 is actually a very underrated MMO - It had the largest and most epic battles I've ever witnessed in an MMO. We are talking about 500+ players with different roles in the team. Some players just logged in to be the transporter - transporting troops to different bases, every battle wasn't just about numbers, it was also about tactics and wars for control of different segments of the map raged on for weeks/ months. My tactic was always relatively simple - get an aircraft, fly right into the center of the area with the most enemies, jump out of the plane right as it crash into them and take down the rest while jumping from cover to cover so that my team can flank them from another direction. The funny thing is it worked about 80% of the time with the other times being of course not jumping out of the plane at the right time (really embarrassing) or the plane gets shot down before I could execute the tactic.

8 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I feel like such an idiot here. What is camping? Is it anything like I'm thinking? A tent in the woods, or is it something else? Remember, this is a question coming from a classic gamer, so don't rip my ass apart too ferociously.

Camping is the act of hiding in one relatively hard to see spot and killing any enemy that passes you. It's generally frowned on, but not a reliable long-term tactic against a team with even slightly decent game sense; might pick people off maybe once or twice, but after that, they'll have made you and all you are is a target at that point.

Edited by Executor Akamia

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I feel like such an idiot here. What is camping? Is it anything like I'm thinking? A tent in the woods, or is it something else? Remember, this is a question coming from a classic gamer, so don't rip my ass apart too ferociously.

It's stupid and takes away the fun and fueled adrenaline rush in playing games. Essentially camping is sitting in a spot killing anyone who comes by. What he said also.

14 hours ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

It's stupid and takes away the fun and fueled adrenaline rush in playing games. Essentially camping is sitting in a spot killing anyone who comes by. What he said also.

I agree but if we where in a real life shooting we are probably the going to be the first to die if go running around the place like dumb asses xD 

37 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I agree but if we where in a real life shooting we are probably the going to be the first to die if go running around the place like dumb asses xD 

That's also true, but this is an arcade shooter. A video game not real life. I don't see what's so fun about sitting in a corner for 10 minutes.

I used to play Silent Scope in the arcade here all the time when I was younger. All it is, is camping. It's a sniper game, so I guess that's to be expected. But if it's a game like Modern Warfare or CoD, then I think that's a bit cowardly. If you're going to play a game, then play the damn game. I could hide out in a corner of the training grounds in Balamb Garden in FF8, and wait for a monster to walk by. Where's the fun in that?

On 1/9/2020 at 10:24 PM, SaucyPastaTho said:

Honestly if we're looking at realism in war games like call of duty it makes sense to camp and find the enemy because they do in real life. But that's an arcade shooter and most people play for fun without camping.

Modern warfare is definitely realistic and also the fun in terms of the aiming in context of real life.