Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes for good or bad AI in video games?

This is a pretty broad topic since the answers will vary depending on genre, but what makes for good or bad AI?

I was thinking about this while reading @Kaynil 's interesting thread about cheap or unnatural difficulty in games, where something is hard for the sake of being hard, but not necessarily with any reasonable logic behind it.

It made me think about Unreal Tournament 2004. UT2004 is an all-time favorite game for me, but I think its weakest element are its bots. It isn’t that they aren’t smart. They are. But they’re too smart. They are almost omniscient. I love climbing to high, almost-inaccessible points in the maps, and they spot me instantly when a human never would even think to look for me up there.

Interested to hear examples of what you think are good and bad AIs.

Bad AI would be when, no matter how many times you play the game, a boss follows the exact same pattern every time. I have a game here (can't remember which one) that I can literally fight and defeat the boss with my eyes closed. Because it doesn't deviate from the same scripted movements.

Good AI makes enemies completely unpredictable. If the only thing you can predict about it is its physical appearance, then you have good AI.

Bots in COD games are not very smart, even in higher difficulties, sure they can kill you instantly if they spot you first, but they will follow a pattern and they will mostly stick to some areas, so you can learn all the hiding spots and all the places where they will be, and that way you can get around them. 

It's all based on the small details, how they interact with you, how they change lines when talking in every scene (different lines in same cutscene, so cutscenes stop getting boring after repeating them again and again) and how they behave in unexpected cases

A number of points I've come to learn:

• In the case of adversity, what is typically called "AI" should provide a fair challenge. They should have a sense of self-preservation, employing whatever abilities and environmental advantages there are befitting their level of survival instincts. It's easy to make an AI that can kill the player, that's not the issue developers face when there's 'bad' AI in their game; what is more difficult is making a fair AI that hides its intelligence well enough that it can ultimately be defeated. F.E.A.R is a good example of AI which isn't as clever as it seems, merely ticking off actions on a list of priorities with some dialogue interspersed.
  • In the case of passiveness or friendliness, AI should position itself in places where it won't obstruct the player, and take enough time 'guessing' the player's actions to follow, move out of the way, and to defend oneself. They should stick to their routines and respond when said routines are broken, before responding with hostility or mild indifference before resuming said routine.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a fascinating subject for the case study of NPC behaviour. There's all sorts of tales during the QA testing of how NPCs, particularly guards, would cause havoc because of the 'responsibility' ratings, social dispositions and the actions they could take.

Edited by Withywarlock

I don't know if this has been done yet, but a good AI in terms of enemy would be not only something that can kill you, but WANTS to kill you. That I think would be giving the AI the ability to think though, which could be the downfall of life and end up like either the Terminator or the Matrix. But maybe I'm overthinking shit.

But I think the problem isn't that

A. I cant see or hear as well as a human should, but rather their response to situations are very basic and outdated. Enemies will quickly forget you exist after they have spotted you in most stealth games for example. I think by having

A. I that responds realistically to your actions games can be a lot more dynamic and fun. But yes i can see how them being able to see and hear more realistically would lead to tedious and frustrating gameplay.

I think what makes good AI, is AI that learns as you learn. Games like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, where the AI controlled when it would release a horde of zombies, or release a tank. Or two tanks on you. That is an awesome way to make a game super replayable as well. 

Another thing, good AI is when you're in a firefight, and since you're stuck in that spot, the AI tosses a grenade. Or they destroy your cover (some games the environment gets destroyed). 

Bad AI is a given for a lot of games. Look at Cyberpunk 2077, when you shoot in public, or around civilian npcs, most of them duck down. It's really weird. Because many other games have done AI with better results (GTA,RDR, etc). Even the AI in the enemies and cops is lazy in Cyberpunk. You break the law in the game, they appear behind you right away and then once you drive a block away, you essentially lose the cops. It's really plain AI and it's kind of sad. Some people will charge you when you're in cover, but it feels less than you'd expect. But, I still love it lol. 

I like when AI continues an action even if you leave the scene. Like if an animal attacks someone or a group and you flee, then watch all the chaos from somewhere else as they continue till one side dies. Also I like it when villagers interact with you and keep on interacting with their environment regardless if you are present or not. Bad AI is when someone guarding something and standing in a corner facing the wall as if he is looking out to sea or something. 

AIs like the ones in the newer Hitman games are very bad examples. I mean the guy throws something into the food in front of thousands of people and not one of them is remotely suspicious. In older Hitman games, if you were even too close to an enemy while disguised they'd start to get suspicious of you.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I like when AI continues an action even if you leave the scene. Like if an animal attacks someone or a group and you flee, then watch all the chaos from somewhere else as they continue till one side dies. Also I like it when villagers interact with you and keep on interacting with their environment regardless if you are present or not. Bad AI is when someone guarding something and standing in a corner facing the wall as if he is looking out to sea or something. 

The people in RDR2 are like that. occasionally some asshole will pick a fight, for no reason so you have to beat the shit out of them. Or kill them. But killing them will get a bounty on your ass most of the time. People talk a lot of shit, especially in St. Denis, and they're all assholes. The god damn kids are the biggest problem. Their mouths should get them in a lot of trouble. So far I haven't been able to kill any of them. It seems the game won't let me aim my gun at them and pull the trigger.

That sucks. I'd like to permanently shut the little bastards mouths.