Register Now
StaceyPowers

Sniping tactics in FPS games

@kingpotato, @killamch89 and @skyfire and I were talking about FPS weapons of choice here. And in another thread, we were talking about issues with camping in FPS games.

The thing is, if you use a sniper rifle, rail gun, etc., from a tactical standpoint, it seems to me like camping is ideal. But at the same time, obviously camping can get to be an irritant. 

For those who prefer sniping, how do you usually approach this issue when playing online? Are you just a really precise aim, and you can run-and-gun with a precision weapon and still hit things (unlike me)? Or do you camp for a couple minutes at a time in different nests, but move around enough to try and not annoy other players? Or do you camp as long as you want and not care about the issue?

I'm not a good sniper, the only game where I invested somewhat on snipping was on Halo 3 but I was more like support for the team, in Halo 3 you could take a sniper shot to the chest and survive due to the shield but obviously that would eliminate your whole shield bar, so I used to hunt those players that where in a gunfight with one of my teammates to get rid of the shield so that way my teammate could finish them. Of course I always tried to go for a head shot but that didnt always worked 😆

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'm not a good sniper, the only game where I invested somewhat on snipping was on Halo 3 but I was more like support for the team, in Halo 3 you could take a sniper shot to the chest and survive due to the shield but obviously that would eliminate your whole shield bar, so I used to hunt those players that where in a gunfight with one of my teammates to get rid of the shield so that way my teammate could finish them. Of course I always tried to go for a head shot but that didnt always worked 😆

A great and highly specific example! :)