Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you long for games where you aren't the "main character?"

I remember there was a thread where we were talking about how in open world games, typically the world revolves around us. Like in Skyrim, everyone is fascinated by the Dragonborn, who saves the world. In Fallout 3, you can save the Capitol Wasteland, and Three Dog gives radio reports on you all the time. In linear games, one tends to have earth-shaking significance as a character as well.

In some ways, I like this, because it is cathartic to be able to save the world, as that is something most of us can’t do IRL.

But as we were talking about in that thread (I wish I could find it), it can get a bit old. Because it is unrelatable, and in an ironic way, a little disempowering. It reinforces the feeling that if you aren’t a mover-and-shaker, you can’t make a difference at all. It also makes the world feel much smaller when everywhere you go, you are the running topic of conversation.

It would be cool if there were more games, especially open world games, where we are relatively insignificant on a global scale, but can still make real differences, maybe more in a “butterfly flaps its wings” sort of way.

But I wonder if there would be a lot of resistance to this concept among gamers? Because I am so used to hearing complaints about games where a player’s sense of agency is restricted. I.e. lots of people complained about not having any meaningful choices in BioShock Infinite (even though I don’t think having them would make sense with the story/philosophy of the game). And lots of people hate on how in DA II, Anders makes a decision the player can’t control which does change the world.

So, how do you feel about games that restrict player agency? Is it a lack of choices that is annoying, or an overall lack of power? Would an open world game where you have lots of choices but limited agency be something that would excite you? What about a game where you had lots of power to change the world, but weren’t “famous” or “important” to other characters? Do you think there is a market for this type of thing?

@kingpotato @killamch89 @DylanC @skyfire @Alyxx @The Blackangel

One thing I enjoyed in Deus Ex is that sure, you're a nano-augmented superhuman but... unlike Human Revolution people aren't constantly babbling about it. People refer to you as "officer", or "human" all the time and unless they work at UNATCO or know you, won't talk to you like you're some kind of special entity. The random stranger on the street just talks to you like you're just another guy.

This is something that I would like to see in TES6, as mentioned in Skyrim the world revolves around the Dragon born and right from the start you are "special" and important to the narrative, but I would like to see a TES game where you start as a nobody , no special powers or legends behind you, and to be able to make a name of your own with your achievements. 

19 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I would love a game like that. One where I’m still a nobody, but mu decisions can ultimately have an impact on the world, for good or bad, depending on the ways I choose to go. That would be a great game.

Yes! I am glad you agree.

16 hours ago, Alyxx said:

One thing I enjoyed in Deus Ex is that sure, you're a nano-augmented superhuman but... unlike Human Revolution people aren't constantly babbling about it. People refer to you as "officer", or "human" all the time and unless they work at UNATCO or know you, won't talk to you like you're some kind of special entity. The random stranger on the street just talks to you like you're just another guy.

That sounds really awesome. I've always been interested, but haven't played it.

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

This is something that I would like to see in TES6, as mentioned in Skyrim the world revolves around the Dragon born and right from the start you are "special" and important to the narrative, but I would like to see a TES game where you start as a nobody , no special powers or legends behind you, and to be able to make a name of your own with your achievements. 

You raise a good point. In Skyrim, you essentially have been given a shortcut to influence rather than having to build it yourself. Of course, I think it frequently works that way IRL too. But that’s exactly the point. Since most of us weren’t handed money and fame on a platter by chance, we want to relate to a story which helps us believe we are capable of climbing in influence through our own hard work or cleverness.