Register Now
The Blackangel

Games You Enjoy That Don't Particularly Have A Genre

I got the idea for this thread from the thread @StaceyPowers made about games out of your comfort zone. What are some games everyone enjoys that really don't have a genre to be put in? I'll list the ones I can think of by system.

NES--
A Boy And His Blob
Bubble Bobble
Q*Bert (originally on Atari)
Taboo The Sixth Sense

SNES--
Earthworm Jim 2
Super Putty
Boogerman

N64--
Conker's Bad Fur Day

I'm looking for games that don't have any connection to any franchise. So things like Mario Paint and ROM-hacks are out.

Well I will say a Boy and his blob can be categorized as platform-puzzle. I only played the Wii version but as to what I understand is basically the same. I dont know what the fuck Q*Bert's genre is but I'm guessing puzzle ?. Earth worm Jim and Boogerman are definitely 2d side-scrolling games. Conker is one of those early 3D action/adventure games.

34 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You’re splitting hairs on this one. If you’re going to classify Earthworm Jim and Boogerman just as 2D, then virtually every single game on NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis are the same thing. That’s a broad spectrum, not a genre.

Well actually isnt 2d side scrolling a genre ? According to all mighty google : Genre a category of artistic composition, (in this case videogames), characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter. So for example if we are calling First person shooters a genre because all FPS game are the same we can also call 2d side scrolling a genre because as mentioned almost every game on NESM SNES and Genesis are the same thing.