Register Now
The Blackangel

A Very Sad Trend

We've all noticed it by now. Game developers don't know when to stop. Apparently they've never heard the gamblers advice of "Quit while you're ahead". Take any popular game. Let's say Assassins Creed. I've seen a lot of people talking about it. I have yet to really play it so I'm going to go with what I've read. The first one was good. The second was better. The third was ok. Now they're puking up anything they can so they can put those two words; Assassins Creed, on the cover. I don't know how many games there are in the series. But it doesn't stop there. The worst one I can think of is Mario. I think there's over literally 100 Mario titles and spinoffs. Put "Mario" on it, and people cream their pants. Every franchise has done it, and every coming franchise will do it. They just don't know how to quit when they reach the top of the mountain. Luckily there have been a few games that were smash hits, like Dante's Inferno. A masterpiece, popular as hell. No plans for a sequel. Keep it that way. I know that later editions to some franchises have been the crown jewel of the series. Final Fantasy 7 for example. And Square will never top the success of FF7. My favorite is FF8, but I don't partake in self deceit where I have convinced that it was the most successful. Quite the contrary. It was the most unpopular until FF13 came out.

But Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, FF, and others. Give it a rest. I understand that some franchises are too popular to just let die. I really do. But do we really need Mario Teaches The Bible? Do we need Sonic Pinball?

I highly doubt it.