Register Now
StaceyPowers

"Slice of life" activities in open world games

Do other people here who enjoy open world games spend a large percentage of time just messing around and doing mundane things?

I literally spend about 50% of my time in RDR working on the hunting/gathering challenges and gambling. It makes the world feel more “lived in” to me, rather than something I’m just passing through.

I mess around a lot in Skyrim and Fallout too, but not to the same degree. I think RDR’s mundane tasks are just more fun to me than, say, the radiant quests in Skyrim.

Then again, I spend a lot of time in both Skyrim and Fallout arranging items around my house.

What percentage of time do you spend in the open world games you play just doing random slice of life activities?

And what “slice of life” type activities do you wish were available in the games you play which aren’t? Like in Skyrim, I like that there are some activities you can do with your kids, but I wish there were more, like taking them to town to shop and such. And there are literally no spouse activities, which is kind of lame. It would also be cool if you could go fishing.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, kingpotato said:

On Read Dead Redemption I used to spent a lot of time playing poker as well, sometimes I play GTA V just to skydive or to customize a car for each of my houses and also as well I like to decorate my houses in Skyrim.

I suspect I spend around 30% of my time on RDR gambling in one form or another, lol. Not much of a “redemption.” Just a descent into gambling degeneracy.

Edited by StaceyPowers

In FF8 I spend a huge amount of time stocking spells to a full 100. Not because I have any intention of ever casting them. because I junction them. I'm not a magic user, with rare exceptions. I know where to get the right spells that will make my characters virtually invincible. I can use 2 spells junctioned to my elem-def to make all elemental attacks actually heal me instead of harm me. And I can block almost every last status attack as well. There's a lot I don't get the opportunity until later in the game, but they're still worth getting. Especially if you have intentions of going all the way and beating the entire game. Typically I don't because the fourth disc is so short, easy, and boring as hell. So after I power game my characters and screw around getting items for abilities, I usually start a new game file. Gil is never hard to come by with refining items. It's easy to profit over 300k in one sale.