Register Now
StaceyPowers

What scares you the most about the future of gaming?

What possibility do you dread most concerning the future of gaming? The end of physical discs? Everything turning into microtransactions? Needing to be online to play any game? No more single player games? Not being able to play your old games because you can no longer purchase compatible hardware? A move away from types of games or game content that interest you? Something else altogether?

@kingpotato @skyfire @The Blackangel @Alyxx @DylanC @LadyDay @killamch89

How about all of the above? I hate online gaming, especially if it’s multiplayer. I won’t submit to the whims of others if I want to do something else. Also I’m not willing to waste my time relying on someone else so I can succeed. If it all goes digitally online, then you’ll never see my broke ass again. Maybe an antique store will have a few physical games that are of interest, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Of the ones you mention, micro transactions and lack of single player games are the ones I am most concerned about. I want my games to myself, or play them with friends, I don't want strangers in my game. And micro transactions I simply won't do. Period. I don't want to lose track of how much money I'm spending on a game and I don't like feeling like I'm constantly being milked for money. I'll happily buy proper packs of DLC to a game I love, but I refuse to pay little things constantly in order to progress properly in the game!

I agree, all that is scary, I could understand physical discs ending one day but I dont want to be online or having to pay micro transactions on every single game. I remember a time when I was a kid and all I needed was a good gameboy and the light on the road during the night to be able to play my games.

TNgyOmz.gif

What I fear is having to pay different subscriptions to be able to play games from different platforms. And each platform breaking away further and further apart offering only exclusive games for their own platform. All the while everything moving to online based, leaving very little choice. I don't like how PC always has games available not on other platforms. Who's gonna stop those other platforms to form a contract with developers to only make the game available to their console? This is the direction cable tv has taken. 

8 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What I fear is having to pay different subscriptions to be able to play games from different platforms. And each platform breaking away further and further apart offering only exclusive games for their own platform. All the while everything moving to online based, leaving very little choice. I don't like how PC always has games available not on other platforms. Who's gonna stop those other platforms to form a contract with developers to only make the game available to their console? This is the direction cable tv has taken. 

That's kind of my concern too. I don't want these cloud-based gaming platforms taking over and having to pay monthly subscriptions just to play the game all the while never truly owning it.

10 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That's kind of my concern too. I don't want these cloud-based gaming platforms taking over and having to pay monthly subscriptions just to play the game all the while never truly owning it.

I gotcha; I didn't know it was called cloud gaming as @Patrick already mentioned. Guess we all are fearing that. 

Just now, Reality vs Adventure said:

I gotcha; I didn't know it was called cloud gaming as @Patrick already mentioned. Guess we all are fearing that. 

It's okay mate. We all have the same flipping issue because this shouldn't even be a thing in the gaming industry. I cannot for the life of me get why anyone with intelligence would ge - who am I kidding? Of course it's always the idiots that make these poor practices become popular in the name of "following the latest trend".