Register Now
StaceyPowers

Favorite creative minds in gaming?

Do you have any favorite designers, programmers, writers, etc. in the gaming world?

I don't know enough about anyone in the industry to say I admire them as a person, but creatively, I admire Ken Levine. I like the way he thinks, and that he incorporates topics that interest him (i.e. history, politics) into his games. I wish he hadn't gotten burned out making BioShock Infinite.

@DylanC @Executor Akamia @LadyDay @The Blackangel @Alyxx @kingpotato @killamch89 @skyfire

I'm the wrong person to ask. I don't think I know more than one person behind video games, Will Wright. So I guess he's my favorite by default. 😄 I'm sure if I started a big Googling project, finding out who made what, then I might find other favorites. But I have a life to live. So no. 😄 

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Shigeru Miyamoto. For those who don't know, he was one of the original creators of The Legend Of Zelda. Of all the series I'm a fan of, I've been a Zelda nut the longest. Kinda hard to picture me really having all that much interest in gaming without it.

Yep Shigeru Miyamoto the father of modern videogames

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think minecraft is definitely peace of classic innovation. But I won't keep him in same category of story or game plot writer. 

Fair, but that wasn't the question that was asked. It didn't have to be about the stories the people told with their work. 😉

On 11/25/2019 at 1:00 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you have any favorite designers, programmers, writers, etc. in the gaming world?

I'd say Notch is a perfectly valid answer.

Edited by Executor Akamia

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah kind of. The thing is that we don't have much creative freedom due to mainstream games either. So we pick what we have. 

I agree. Minecraft wasn't a mainstream game at the time of its release, however, when Notch was working on it. It was an indie project (one that, admittedly, went viral) before it became what it is today.

Love it or hate it, it was born of creativity in an industry that, at the time, just wasn't even slightly interested in what it had to offer until after it broke convention and succeeded.

Or rather, what I should say is that Notch was able to express said creativity despite the industry he tried to work for consistently telling him "no"; after all, Minecraft itself didn't come until later down that road.

Edited by Executor Akamia