Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long does it take you to forget where you are in a game?

If you take a break from a game you’re playing, how long does it take your brain to forget where you’re at in terms of your progress, quests, etc.? I forget a lot within a couple of weeks. Thankfully, I usually remember most of it within about half an hour of getting started again.

But I have five games in rotation, and I’m worried that adding a sixth will just break up the flow too much because it’ll be an even longer gap between sessions with each.

Seconds. MD affects not only your physical body, but your cognitive faculties as well. I literally have almost no short term memory. If you were to ask me what I was doing 10 minutes ago I couldn't tell you. I don't even know what room I was in 10 minutes ago. I have 3 FF8 files on my PS3. One that I have been playing more than the other 2. I tried playing the other 2, and have no clue at all why my characters are in the locations I found them at. I don't know what I was doing the last time I played the file, so I don't know where to go with them. I'm thinking of saying screw it and erasing them all. At least that way I'll know what the hell is going on.

48 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Seconds. MD affects not only your physical body, but your cognitive faculties as well. I literally have almost no short term memory. If you were to ask me what I was doing 10 minutes ago I couldn't tell you. I don't even know what room I was in 10 minutes ago. I have 3 FF8 files on my PS3. One that I have been playing more than the other 2. I tried playing the other 2, and have no clue at all why my characters are in the locations I found them at. I don't know what I was doing the last time I played the file, so I don't know where to go with them. I'm thinking of saying screw it and erasing them all. At least that way I'll know what the hell is going on.

Wow, that is a harsh reality. What methods do you use to cope throughout the day and keep up with whatever it is you intended to be doing? I have to send myself dozens of reminders each day just to work around poor executive function--which is nothing to what you're describing. Makes me wonder how many strategies you've had to devise for a dramatically worse situation.

It can take me a long time to forget about a game, for example with Fallout New Vegas and Read Dead Redemption I stopped playing them well into the game, and when I went back to them I didnt had a problem with the controls or the story, I restarted the games eventually but I never had that problem where I forget about my progress.