Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most progress you ever lost in a game?

What is the largest amount of progress you ever lost in a game because of a bug, forgetting to save, etc.? For me, it was weeks of play on a game called Return to Zork on DOS back in the day. But it can be frustrating even losing a day of progress in a game. So I save a lot nowadays.

That would be the entire game in The Legend Of Zelda. The original on NES. I had been playing it, and usually run through the entire game on the first quest. I was in level 9 heading to get the silver arrows, and the game froze. I wasn't happy, but I had saved just before I went in, so I figured no biggy. I reset the game, and my fucking game files were gone. The damn thing had erased itself. Needless to say, I was beyond pissed.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, The Blackangel said:

That would be the entire game in The Legend Of Zelda. The original on NES. I had been playing it, and usually run through the entire game on the first quest. I was in level 9 heading to get the silver arrows, and the game froze. I wasn't happy, but I had saved just before I went in, so I figured no biggy. I reset the game, and my fucking game files were gone. The damn thing had erased itself. Needless to say, I was beyond pissed.

Oh man, I would have been so furious.

On 11/28/2019 at 6:30 AM, kingpotato said:

My first play through of GTA San Andreas, my cousins started playing with my ps2 without my consent and they saved their progress over mine.

Wow, that is terrible. And here I used to flip out as a kid when my cousins came over and messed up my toys …

I once encountered a difficulty spike in Dragons Dogma I couldn't break away from and had to start over. A combination the games bad enemy spawn points, lack of a second save fire and no fast travel (At first, the items needed for fast travel in that game were so rare and precious it was completely pointless). That pissed me off so much. Despite the amazing combat mechanics, that game had some serious concept flaws.

Lucky to not to loss any progress in most game since I save the backup game files. But one point I did lost a mission on halo one and it bypass it. It's not like 2005 where all game saved files are stored on your C drive. Nowadays most games are saved to the cloud. 

Surprised I didn't respond to this topic yet. I was nearly done with GTA San Andreas back in 04, but I got a little demo disc from PlayStation Underground. It was like a fan club for PlayStation where they would send you swag, certificates and demos. Anyway, the demo they sent me this time, was one that had the demo for Viewtiful Joe 2.  I played that and thought it was cool. I then later find that my memory card was wiped clean. So, this demo disc has a glitch, and it's when you play Viewtiful Joe 2's demo. It will wipe any memory card connected to the console. 

I lost my GTA SA save, and any other save I had on it. I don't recall what else I lost, but losing SA when I was nearly done, made me quite mad. 😞 

Sony had to apologize for the problem too - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news221104ps2demodiscusa 

They even offered to give away a free game to people affected. I didn't know about this until later on, and I actually called their support to raise my issue. They said it was too late. I guess they originally offered people one of the sly cooper games. I would have taken a copy of that. 😞 

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Accidentally deleted a whole saved file of San Andreas and I was close to 100% completion. Needless to say, I was pretty upset at the time...

After my save was erased, I decided to replay it with cheats lol. I don't think I did it for long, as I eventually just got back to playing it normally. So I guess I can say I replayed it pretty fast lol. 

11 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

After my save was erased, I decided to replay it with cheats lol. I don't think I did it for long, as I eventually just got back to playing it normally. So I guess I can say I replayed it pretty fast lol. 

I didn't but I grumbled for most of the time replaying the game especially some of the annoying end-game missions. The only thing I enjoyed about it was doing things a bit differently the second time around...

On 11/28/2019 at 1:20 AM, StaceyPowers said:

What is the largest amount of progress you ever lost in a game because of a bug, forgetting to save, etc.? For me, it was weeks of play on a game called Return to Zork on DOS back in the day. But it can be frustrating even losing a day of progress in a game. So I save a lot nowadays.

Seriously, it's why games needs to come with auto save features in order to save one the pain of losing a long completed process.