Register Now
Shagger

Dose the VGR forums have a Discord server?

And if there isn't one, I think it could be a good idea to have one. Live chat and discussions between members through both text and voice, mod tools and lobbying to play games together. Discord has free and very well polished apps on PC and mobile devices, so can be used as a chat server between PC and console users. AI've seen a lot of communities use this service to great effect. I know I'm new, but I think it's something worth considering.

Hi @Shagger, thanks for creating this thread. I'm appreciative of how quickly you've become involved with our community. It really means a lot.

I am personally against a Discord because this is already a pretty tight knit community as it is and my concern is that a Discord server would take away from the activity on the forums. It's already easy for people to communicate here through PMs, various forum threads, and the General Chat. I'll leave this topic open for you to reply to and others to weigh in but I think it's best for us to continue without Discord, at least for the time being.

I understand, and you have a point, Discord can take activity away from forums. It happened at another community I was part with, but that was much larger community that was more focused around community play and basically started using Discord to replace Teamspeak (PSA, teamspeak is a garbage app), so it didn't affect the activity on the threads too badly. I won't say anything else about that community other that it's problems and collapse came for different reasons. They're technically still active, and I was a game leader and even a moderator over there for a while, but I'm long over wanting anything to do with them.

Anyway, like you I am keen to hear other member's thoughts on this as well. It can help communities grow, but it really depends on what is said communities focus.

I would like to see a discord server, it opens up alot of possibilites for members of the community interact.  I do have to dissage to some extent with @DC here, I understand your recluctance to do anything that might divert traffic away from the forum but there is things you can do with a live discord chat that you cant really do with a forum.  For example you can arrange live voice/text chat parties which is especially usefull during events like E3.  Then of course there is the possibility of gaming together.  I think it's worth a thought.

8 hours ago, mont86 said:

What is discord ? I've heard youtubers say join , but they say that about twitter and instgram too..

Discord is basically a platform centred around gaming that allows people to group up and chat through both text and voice. Users can join and create servers on the discord platform for friends, members of their community or the public to join.

More details on their website.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:44 AM, Shagger said:

Discord is basically a platform centred around gaming that allows people to group up and chat through both text and voice. Users can join and create servers on the discord platform for friends, members of their community or the public to join.

More details on their website.

It's been spreading to other niches, too. Not just gaming.

However, Discord kills forums that it's based around. If you want chat on the forums, just ask for it. We actually want you ON the board, rather than going to another platform and whatever.

(I own a few websites, so trust me when I say that. I own the #1 highest ranking Call of Duty forum that ain't owned by Activision, for example.)

Edited by Carlos X

5 hours ago, mamontZ said:

Do you still not have a Discord server?

No we do not and do not intend to as it will take away from the activity and community we've established here. Closing this thread.