Register Now
The Blackangel

No longer for kids?

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

And cultural and individual perception of that content.

I mean, my mother highly disapproved of Doom, but in a rare moment of live-and-let-live, ignored it. But my father didn't find Doom objectionable at all. And as a kid, I didn't have a hard time distinguishing video game violence from the real thing. So maybe it also depends on the kid and what is appropriate for that specific kid?

Exactly , nowadays we understand better the culture around videogames, we know that a kid is not going to be traumatized by playing Doom. It definitely depends on the kid, I played GTA at a young age and I'm not a gang member nor I'm committing crimes, many parents believed that their kids would become criminals if they played these types of games but at the end of the day values are not teach by videogames.

2 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Exactly , nowadays we understand better the culture around videogames, we know that a kid is not going to be traumatized by playing Doom. It definitely depends on the kid, I played GTA at a young age and I'm not a gang member nor I'm committing crimes, many parents believed that their kids would become criminals if they played these types of games but at the end of the day values are not teach by videogames.

Nor the difference between reality and fantasy. I mean, my perception of FPS games as a kid was that they were a form of "sport" with simulated gore, rather than that they were actually violent. That's still my perception of them. I know some kids have trouble with that distinction though, so I can see where one might want to delay before giving them such games.

I also had a very active imagination as a kid, and found attempts to censor my media ridiculous, because my brain was R-rated from a very young age heheh.

Edited by StaceyPowers

Reading these recent comments from @StaceyPowers and @kingpotato, a thought just occurred to me. When the PS4 launched, one of its launch titles was a game called Knack, if anyone remembers it. This was and 3rd person action/adventure with a rather unique co-op mode. Player 1 would play as Knack whilst player 2 would play as Robo-Knack, a character to help out in combat with infinite spawns, didn't appear in cut-scenes and couldn't trigger story progression on it's own. It was also down to the real Knack to trigger both character's size changes.

This co-op mode was pretty much panned by gamers and most critics, with due respect to them, they did so because they failed to understand what it was for. A child would play as Knack whilst a parent, guardian, older sibling or whatever would play as Robo-Knack to help them out in combat, with puzzles and perhaps shoe the younger player get through platforming sections. Now, I did play through the game with my son who I believe was 5 at the time and had great time. Games like that are a brilliant idea that, sadly, haven't caught on.

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

Reading these recent comments from @StaceyPowers and @kingpotato, a thought just occurred to me. When the PS4 launched, one of its launch titles was a game called Knack, if anyone remembers it. This was and 3rd person action/adventure with a rather unique co-op mode. Player 1 would play as Knack whilst player 2 would play as Robo-Knack, a character to help out in combat with infinite spawns, didn't appear in cut-scenes and couldn't trigger story progression on it's own. It was also down to the real Knack to trigger both character's size changes.

This co-op mode was pretty much panned by gamers and most critics, with due respect to them, they did so because they failed to understand what it was for. A child would play as Knack whilst a parent, guardian, older sibling or whatever would play as Robo-Knack to help them out in combat, with puzzles and perhaps shoe the younger player get through platforming sections. Now, I did play through the game with my son who I believe was 5 at the time and had great time. Games like that are a brilliant idea that, sadly, haven't caught on.

I always wondered why Knack was given a bad rating but never bothered to check the gameplay. Its a sad thing the idea sounds very well and its intended for local multiplayer.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, Shagger said:

I always liked the concept of that game as well and it puzzled me why it got such a bad rating.