Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why have games moved toward an adult market?

I was reading @The Blackangel's intriguing post here, and responses from @kingpotato and @Shagger.

I definitely agree that games have moved away from kids and toward an adult market, at least in some respects. But I think this leads to the next question, which is "why?" 

Here are some of my theories:

• The initial target market generation that played games as kids has now grown up, and is simply still being marketed to.
  • Video games have evolved into a genuine art form which is as suitable for exploring adult issues as books, film, TV, etc. The majority of books are not written for small kids, nor TV shows, etc. Neither are games anymore.
  • Culture has opened up a lot. Streaming has loosened up viewing considerations in terms of violence, cursing, nudity, etc. I would expect this to lead to a similar loosening up in other mediums, gaming included. I am guessing--though not positive--that kids today have a lot less parental censorship to deal with on average than I did as a kid.

Your theories?

Well, I could repeat a lot of what I said n the other thread, but basically the three point you've mad sum it up. The kids who played in the 80's and 90's are the adults playing games now, so we grew up and gaming grew up with us. That gernertion is having children as well now, and I think we are more lenient than previous generation because we know hat the risks once associated with gaming are unfounded. I would never actually describe games as art (My reasoning for that is another topic for another time), but they are a medium that is (at last) being respected at the level of TV shows and movies, not to mention the lines between them have gotten more and more blurry.

Could it also be a factor that adults simply have more money to spend on games than kids do and thus become a target market? Sure, parents spend money on games for their kids too, but most kids either get them for Christmas and birthday, or save up for them from their allowance, so as not to get spoiled, while adults pretty much can buy all the games they want.  And then there's a big chunk of adults who don't have any kids to spoil, so they only spend their money on games for themselves (I don't have kids, which means more time for games and therefor ultimately more games bought than if I had a kid taking up my time).

Edited by LadyDay

I would say a part of it would be because they're less constrained. With children they would have to be careful to make sure there's nothing "inappropriate" in the game. Think of all the sexual scandals Disney has had with their movies. Whereas with adults, they can make a game with whatever the hell comes to mind, and unless it's just a shitty game, no one will complain. Take Banjo Kazooie on N64 vs The Witcher 3. BK was a cutesy kiddie games. You run around as a bear/bird combo collecting puzzle pieces to save the bears little sister from having her beauty stolen by an ugly witch. The Witcher 3 however....not so kiddie. Even Conker's Bad Fur day initially started off as a childrens game, until the writers decided to get a little kinky. So adult games are limitless, and childrens games are very limited. Especially in this day and age with all the SJW bullshit going on.