Register Now
StaceyPowers

Ways gaming has helped/harmed you as a person?

I saw @skyfire joking (I think!) that games might have caused him social anxiety. And while I think he was kidding, it did make me wonder if gaming has instilled any good/bad habits in each of us, making us more or less effective as people?

I think gaming has actually improved my social skills, and made me a more confident decision-maker. I can’t think of any deficits to my personality which gaming has caused or made worse (though my cat may disagree when I am immersed in TLOU).

What about you?

I think games make me more productive in life in general. I spend a lot of time at home (due to illness) and I feel like games make me a more active participant in life, while TV makes me feel like life is just passing me by. I get more energy for doing housework, going for walks, meeting people etc when I've been playing a game than when I've been on the couch. I think it's because I'm and active participator in games, it somehow feels like I've "done something" or "accomplished something"., giving me a little boost to my self-esteem, which in turn gives me energy and stamina for participating in real life too. 

I don't think games have harmed me.

Edited by LadyDay

Yep a lot of effects especially to fingers and also due to toxic gaming on some servers specifically indonesian servers. Where you tend to have a lot of toxic hammering which surely cause social anxiety to anyone. Denying that is also a form of toxicity. But each to their own for denial though. Not kidding at all considering you are making fun of my anxiety. 

On 12/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, skyfire said:

Yep a lot of effects especially to fingers and also due to toxic gaming on some servers specifically indonesian servers. Where you tend to have a lot of toxic hammering which surely cause social anxiety to anyone. Denying that is also a form of toxicity. But each to their own for denial though. Not kidding at all considering you are making fun of my anxiety. 

I'm not making fun of your anxiety at all. I literally thought you were being humorous where you posted it--or maybe hoped you were, for your sake. Being made anxious is not fun 😞 It is easy to mis-read tone on the web, and I apologize for misreading yours. There certainly is a lot of toxic behavior on some servers, and I can see now how that could cause social anxiety. I am sorry you've had bad experiences.

It's alright. It's just that I overdo myself on gaming on some devices. And It's my fault though. I think I should have drawn boundary and also paid attention. But I get that some things eventually affect in context of health with too much of anything. And that's what happened while I was gaming.