Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with a 90s flavor that aren't from the 90s?

I’ve never heard anyone comment on this before, but I just started Mass Effect for the first time, and I feel like I’m back in time in the late 90s or very early Aughts, lol. The game obviously looks much better graphically than anything from that timeframe, but the art and music style feel so retro, and I kind of love that.

Are there any other games that anyone can think of that also look/sound like they are from that approximate era, even though they were made later?

Shovel Knight on PS4. It has the same 16 bit graphic style as what you would see on SNES. I think Links Awakening on Switch can fit this topic. It came out a lifetime ago, but they decided to tweak it and update the graphics and now we have an amazingly crisp version to play. A lot of the remasters should come into play here too.

The first game that comes to mind for me would be The Messenger;

In what could be one of the most hilariously, deliberately lame video game plots ever, you play as an average ninja tasked to deliver a message whilst the REAL hero fights to save the world. Obviously, it doesn't work out like that, but it's still funny as hell.

It's has a fun, very self-aware kind of fourth wall humour with colourful 16bit style graphics. It tries hard to remind you of games like Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden, but with a very modern upgrade and levelling system. To be honest, it's not the smoothest game in the genre in terms of control, it takes some practice, but it's worth that extra effort. The game was available for free on EGS a while ago (the chance has sadly passed), but it's still worth picking up.

Edited by Shagger

On 12/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, The Blackangel said:

Shovel Knight on PS4. It has the same 16 bit graphic style as what you would see on SNES. I think Links Awakening on Switch can fit this topic. It came out a lifetime ago, but they decided to tweak it and update the graphics and now we have an amazingly crisp version to play. A lot of the remasters should come into play here too.

Yep I was going to Say Shovel Knight as well, and also Celeste