Register Now
StaceyPowers

Will we ever have holodecks in real life?

Following up on this topic about the future of VR, do you think we’ll ever have a true, full-immersion VR experience that incorporates all of the senses, like the holodeck in Star Trek? I’ve seen websites for a few companies in the past that were trying to create holodeck-like VR experiences (i.e. you show up at their facilities, put on a headset, and they provide the rest of the effects in your RL surroundings). What do you all think of this concept?

@The Blackangel @kingpotato @Alyxx @skyfire @Shagger

And interesting topic. Well thought up.

I think we will. It may not be exactly like it is on Star Trek, but I do see this being technically possible in our lifetime. What I find more interesting is how holodecks are featured culturally. Video games, whilst they have gained some serious stock and are more respected than ever as a mature pastime, aren't yet respected in the world of culture as perhaps they should be. The "holo-novels" in Star Trek, which are basically like role-playing narrative games, are a cultural expression held in no lower stature than classic novel would be today. I know that video games will be respected like that someday, but I would like to think that time is closer than how long it'll take for technology to get that advanced. They also use holodecks for training, experiments as well as recreation, and I see that in the future of gaming technology as well.

I'm sure it will be here one day. Those will be the days when the only way to even SEE a PS5 will be in a museum. Kids will wonder how anyone could torture themselves with such primitive technology. Such shitty graphics, and SLOOOOOOOOOW gameplay. They will be wondering how people could bear living in such a primitive, caveman like time.