Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you use cheat codes?

@LadyDay was recommending The Sims 4 to me as a relaxing, stress-free game. By coincidence, a friend was telling me a couple days later that she finds the game very fun, but that it stresses her out without using cheat codes to take care of her sims' basic needs.

I am curious who here makes use of cheat codes in video games? In which games do you use them, and why?

I have the Game Genie for NES and SNES, but rarely use them. Aside from that, the closest cheat I can think of that I use is in Castlevania SOTN. I use the name "code" that nets Alucard a base luck of 99 and I use the lapis lazuli trick to keep all his items past where Death takes them from you. Other than that, I don't really use any cheats anymore.

I don't find caring for a Sims needs particularly stressful, but that might be because I've played it so much. I know my sister finds that it's suddenly become stressful since she switched from PC to Playstation, which I find weird. Can it somehow be harder on console??? Anyway, it's the only game I've used cheats for, though not out of some posh idea that that's a bad thing. It depends on what people find fun. In the Sims I've sometimes used money cheats, depending on the story. The thing is, if you want to make enough money to buy a decent house, you'll never get there just by getting to the top of a fancy career. You have to either grind and grind on painting or writing or you have to, like, have a store that specializes in only selling one very expensive violin. In the real world people don't buy houses like that, they take a loan. And sometimes I don't feel like playing the story of grinding for cash, sometimes I want to focus on other aspects, like a career. So sometimes in my "stories" I decide that they happened to have a rich uncle or that they took out a loan for the house or whatever. It's not a goal oriented game, it's a story oriented game. However, it makes a difference that it's a single player game, so I'm not effecting the game of others. I figure if I was cheating to make myself super powerful in a multi-player game, where others were effected, that would make a difference! I also think that some games would get pretty boring if you cheated your way through the levels, but to each their own. 

I like that in Planet Zoo, the simulation game I'm currently hooked on, there's franchise mode, where you have to make a zoo run financially, and then there's sandbox mode, where you have infinite cash and can just be creative building whatever your heart desires. I figure that's a bit like using cheats in The Sims. 

I have a few games here that I specifically use a Game Genie on every time I play them anymore. And it's not so I can make me so powerful that I can just breeze by everything. It's actually the opposite. I use codes to make my character weaker and my enemies stronger. The reason is because there are some games that, over the years, I've just gotten too good at. And while I love playing them, there's no challenge left. So I pop them in through the GG, and it's all good. My favorite games, redone with more challenge than before.

I used to cheat all the time as a kid. Then I eventually realized I don't actually need them, and would only turn on cheat codes for silliness.

I don't see "cheat codes" as such put in games very often anymore. These days, if you want to properly cheat at a game, you need external software. I frown on that. I mean, I guess in a single-player game, do whatever you like, but the moment that crosses into the multiplayer sphere, where other players may be looking for a fair fight, I lose all respect for the person doing it.

Yeah kind of. For example, let's say you are on map which is a bit difficult. You can at the most play with that disadvantage for days and finally crack it and mind feels happy about it. Using cheat codes, your excitement wears off pretty quickly. I think you can use cheat codes or hacks on games like battle royale where people judge you on result and you do it for people rather than your happiness. 

Not these days. I haven't really felt the need to check over cheat codes. Well, the last game I did any cheats on, was RDR2, for like unlimited or extended invincibility, and cheats like that. 

I haven't checked cheats for modern games since though, but maybe I should. Wonder if Cyberpunk has any cheats out there. 😄