Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do we want in terms of innovations from future gen consoles?

I was reading this thread about developers talking about how the next generation of consoles isn't expected to be all that innovative, and merely improve upon performance/provide better quality-of-life for gamers. 

If the next generation of consoles were going to be “innovative,” however, I am curious what that would look like, and interested in what we as gamers want.

I honestly have a hard time picturing what I’d be looking for, aside from some form of more immersive, comfortable VR experience. Beyond that, I am just not that imaginative.

What types of innovations—not just changes in performance—do you want to see from future gen consoles, even if we’ll be waiting one or more generations past the PS5 and Xbox Series X to see those innovations?

@kingpotato, @The Blackangel, @skyfire, @Shagger

In my opinion the gaming industry has been on a steady decline in quality since the Game Cube. Games are less imaginative, shorter goals, sequels are either the exact same thing as the previous entry, or so damn different you have to actually wonder if they're in the same series. Sure graphics are getting sleeker, and more realistic. And processors are typically getting more powerful. But did we really have to sacrifice quality games for that? I don't remember many people raving about Wii, PlayStation Move, or Kinect. Those came and went with little interest. Most of us just wanted to play the game without having to be a fucking acrobat. There's apparently a special reason they called the other half of the Wii controller a nunchuk. For ideas I say go back a few generations, look at the blockbuster games, get your ideas there, and then move forward. Otherwise, I see 1983 happening again as gamers continue losing interest in their favorite systems due to it not showing anything new.

All I want for the future is good games, honestly when it comes to performance of consoles I'm pretty comfortable. Personally I'm not looking or expecting any innovating stuff but at the same time I feel that releasing a new console is pointless because there will be nothing "new" just improvements on what already exists, so the only thing I hope for the future is better games since for me thats what makes a console good.

I agree with you there. But the sad thing is that there are people that have to have the current generation of whatever it is, whether it's any improvement or not is irrelevant. They have to have the current iPhone, they have to have the newest Xbox, they have to have this years car, and on and on and on. I don't get it myself. I used an iPhone 5 until around September of this year when it completely crapped out on me. Why? Because it still worked and did everything I wanted it to do. What am I using now? An iPhone 6S. I don't need the newest shit. Old shit works just fine for me as long as it does what I'm wanting it to do. It's part of why I'm almost exclusively a classic gamer. I love the old cartridge games. They entertained me more than 99% of the games since the Game Cube era. I wasn't big on PS2 either. Granted there are several PS3 games I enjoy the hell out of, and a couple series I'm a fan of. God Of War for example. But so many of the games you guys talk about, I only know that they're not the type of game I would enjoy playing myself. I've watched videos on YouTube of people playing many of the games, and I know it's not my thing.

So unless we get a machine that is literally a Ready Player One type of setup, I highly doubt I'll be buying anything from the next 5 generations.

When it comes to gaming 9 times out of 10 the term "innovation" is a by word for experimental gimmick that barely friggin works. By now I think we have a pretty solid formula for what works and a controller or mouse and keyboard and a screen.  Going back to the early days when companies would "innovate" with crap like the power glove, light guns, motion controls or more recently the Kniect and PlayStation move is the absolute last thing I wanna see. So aside from accessories that makes games more accessible for people with disabilities like the XBox Adaptive Controller (vid below) all I want is for my hardware to work.

They should focus more on proper functioning of what they do provide rather than innovation. Most innovation I don't even use. I don't use dvd, or music, or image, or internet, or whatever friend share cookoo dance party they sell. I just want to play a functioning game. So don't try to hype up some squat I won't use. Does the ps5 have compatibility for previous versions? I don't know because it has not been a definite yes that I ever heard. Other than that, exactly what else is there? I haven't had a good experience with my console in regards to functioning quality. So stop your coffee induced brainstorming you maggots at the round table; and produce good quality machines. That is what you are paid for. Don't side track with amenities. I don't care about you flunking baffoons trying to hold onto to importance. Your workplace you can fuck all you want. Don't dress up the equipment for a party with ribbons. We want something that actually works for longevity. 

The games should be more realistic, their shouldn't be bugs, glitches in the game. Characters should be more interactive during companion missions, the gameplay should look more matured like real life, and not displaying anime kind of moves. 

They released new consoles like a year ago or what ever, PS5 and xbox w/e the fuck it's called. New consoles will keep happening. Virtual reality is a niche part of gaming that doesn't seem to be going away, so it will have some support, but overall just regular gaming will continue to improve.

38 minutes ago, Empire said:

They released new consoles like a year ago or what ever, PS5 and xbox w/e the fuck it's called. New consoles will keep happening. Virtual reality is a niche part of gaming that doesn't seem to be going away, so it will have some support, but overall just regular gaming will continue to improve.

Sire, regularly virtual gaming will continue to improve for long time. Recently, new development have come Live in video game world notably the development of PS5, Xbox series X. 

Personally, I believe that comfortable VR experience is something they are going to keep working on till they perfect it all round in my opinion though. Some people believe the console might get smaller while others thinks it's getting bigger the more.