Register Now
StaceyPowers

What quality of life improvements do you want the most next gen?

We seem to be pretty harmonious in agreement on this thread that there really isn't anywhere to "go" with "innovation" right now in consoles. We basically can only get two things out of new consoles right now: new games, and quality of life improvements.

We seem to be pretty harmonious in agreement on this thread that there really isn't anywhere to "go" with "innovation" right now in consoles. We basically can only get two things out of new consoles right now: new games, and quality of life improvements.

So, what quality of life improvements do you want the most for whatever console you play?

To me, what we’ve been hearing about sounds pretty good—no more load screens, faster and more effective loading of levels, etc.

The biggest quality of life improvement I want though has nothing to do with the console—it has to do with the controller. DualShock 3 controllers have done nothing but die on me, and I can’t afford to replace them with anything but crappy aftermarket ones. I wish that the next controller will be a bit sturdier and less finicky, with a longer lifespan. That by itself would thrill me.

Obviously I also want backwards compatibility that goes all the way back to the original PlayStation, but we all know how unlikely that is.

@The Blackangel, @Crazycrab, @skyfire, @kingpotato

34 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

The biggest quality of life improvement I want though has nothing to do with the console—it has to do with the controller. DualShock 3 controllers have done nothing but die on me, and I can’t afford to replace them with anything but crappy aftermarket ones. I wish that the next controller will be a bit sturdier and less finicky, with a longer lifespan. That by itself would thrill me.

The current DualShock 4 is already a significant improvement in ergonomics and quality over it's predecessor...  except for 2 things:

1. Micro USB:  I frigging HATE micro USB!  Always have!  They're fidgity, fall out all the time and are far to easy to break.  We already know that the next gen systems are switching over to USB Type-C (like on newer smartphones and the Nintendo Switch) and thank mercyfull Zues for that!
  2. Battery life:  I'm not sure if it's the light bar or the motor's for the rumble but the batteries on the DS4 seemed to drain much faster than they did before on the DS3.  So I'm hoping Sony addresses this.

Other than that I'm expecting (and hoping) that the DualShock 5 won't be much different from the DualShock 4.

34 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Obviously I also want backwards compatibility that goes all the way back to the original PlayStation, but we all know how unlikely that is.

Microsoft have aready announced that the new XBox is fully backwards compatible and that's great.  Granted it isn't as straight forward Sony to do this with the PS5 since the architecture of the PS2 and PS3 in particular are so different from the x86 PC architecture that we see in the consoles now.  I know from experience that it takes a fairly powefull PC to emulate PS2 games properly, let alone PS3.

It is unlikely but I'm hoping the really beefy AND ZEN 2 based CPU's combined with the commercial pressure from Microsoft's backwards compabilty promises they will make the PS5 fully backwards compatible but we will have to wait and see.

Edited by Crazycrab

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Micro USB:  I frigging HATE micro USB!  Always have! 

yes, yes, exactly. This is half the problem with these controllers. Just plugging and uplugging is a risk. 

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

e PS5 since the architecture of the PS2 and PS3 in particular are so different from the x86 PC architecture that we see in the consoles now

Thank you for this bit of technical information/perspective. This helps me understand better why backwards compatibility is such an issue with PlayStation.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

yes, yes, exactly. This is half the problem with these controllers. Just plugging and uplugging is a risk. 

Thank you for this bit of technical information/perspective. This helps me understand better why backwards compatibility is such an issue with PlayStation.

it also explains why emulating ps2 games is a pain in the ass, thanks @Crazycrab

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

Micro USB can be good as far as the charging, data transfer is concerned. I think they can be and should be included in most of the devices in future.

No way dude!  Type-C is superior in every way.  Stronger design, faster charging and higher transfer rates.  The sooner Micro USB is phased out (and it will be) the better.