Register Now
Shagger

Ask Shagger

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

All your games get erased. I'm not talking about save files, I'm talking about the discs and cartridges themselves have lost all data and are useless.

What do you do?

Learn to read....... in hell.

9 hours ago, DC said:

@Shagger If you could have an all-expenses paid trip to see any famous world monument, which monument would you choose?

The Ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum. I've been fascinated by Geology and Volcanology since I was a kid and find the Romans to be an interesting lot, so the chance to explore both passions and see where the most famous volcanic event in human history happened would be a dream come true. Hopefully I'd be allowed to climb Mt Vesuvius and see the other volcanic site in the area as well. 

Vesuvius, Fuji, and St. Helens all allow climbing pretty much year round. The biggest risk is altitude sickness, but the only of those 3 that I saw a mention of it was on Mt. Fuji. You could also travel to Yellowstone National Park. It's laying directly on top of a super-volcano. It's the only super-volcano I can think of at the moment, and if I remember correctly, it's also the largest. One eruption from it, and we're extinct, type volcano. I don't know much about volcanology. My interest is astronomy. I'm absolutely fascinated by the universe. Planets, exoplanets, black holes, nebulae, super novae, neutron stars, galaxies, all of it.

27 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Vesuvius, Fuji, and St. Helens all allow climbing pretty much year round. The biggest risk is altitude sickness, but the only of those 3 that I saw a mention of it was on Mt. Fuji. You could also travel to Yellowstone National Park. It's laying directly on top of a super-volcano. It's the only super-volcano I can think of at the moment, and if I remember correctly, it's also the largest. One eruption from it, and we're extinct, type volcano. I don't know much about volcanology. My interest is astronomy. I'm absolutely fascinated by the universe. Planets, exoplanets, black holes, nebulae, super novae, neutron stars, galaxies, all of it.

Yellowstone is another bucket list for me. A volcanic crater big enough build Tokyo inside and still have room to spare. Within that though, is one of the most beautiful natural habitats on earth, so there're several reasons to visit that place. But God's, please do me a favour and not give us a VEI8 event until after I'm dead if you don't mind? Thank you. The last VEI8 event was at Lake Toba in  modern day Indonesia around 70,000 years ago and that did almost wipe us out, so as unlikely as it is in our lifetime, it's something to fear.

Sadly, when it comes to Mt St Helens, you're not completely correct. You have to fill out a pile of liability forms almost as tall as the mountain itself to get any ware near the crater because the volcano is still active with a risk of steam eruptions and the ground is very unstable. It's young earth, left from the eruptions in the 80's. It's not gonna blow it's top like it did in 1980 for a long time, talking hundreds of years, but it's still a dangerous trip.

Edited by Shagger

From what I have read and seen, geologists are saying that were several thousand years past due for an eruption from Yellowstone. So that bothers me a bit. As for climbing St Helens, like I said I don't know jack about it. A quick google search said you can, but didn't mention permits. But for all I know, that was outdated information, and somewhere in the last 40 years they changed it to only allow scientists and geologists near the crater. I do know that if you have the money you can take a helicopter ride to the crater and fly over. Or you could in the past since the volcano was dormant at the time. They may have stopped that as well and only allow people on designated hiking trails. I used to love hiking when I was able. I would disappear into the woods for days at a time. I'd catch my own food, purify my own water, build temporary shelter, and live rough. Now I can't do any of that.

I don't remember the actual name, but have you thought about Pele's volcano in Hawaii? That one always interested me.

Also here's an unaltered, very real pic of Mt Fuji you might find interesting.

Mt Fuji Clouds.jpg

Edited by The Blackangel

22 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

From what I have read and seen, geologists are saying that were several thousand years past due for an eruption from Yellowstone. So that bothers me a bit. As for climbing St Helens, like I said I don't know jack about it. A quick google search  said you can, but didn't say anything about permits. For all I know, that was outdated information, and somewhere in the last 40 years they changed it to only allow scientists and geologists near the crater. I do know that if you have the money you can take a helicopter ride to the crater and fly over. Or you could in the past since the volcano was dormant at the time. They may have stopped that as well and only allow people on designated hiking trails. I used to love hiking when I was able. I would disappear into the woods for days at a time. I'd catch my own food, purify my own water, build temporary shelter, and live rough. Now I can't do any of that.

I'm very sorry to hear that. That really does sound amazing and it's such a shame you're unable to do that now. All can offer is that you did get to enjoy these things while you could.

On to Yellowstone though. This Volcano isn't normal in that it has not formed as a result of molten rock being diverted from a tectonic boundary,  It has formed above what geologist calls a "Hot Spot" where a convection current in the earths mantle has broken through the surface.  Iceland and the Hawaiian Islands were formed by the same phenomena. In geological terms, it's actually quite a young formation that's only existed for around 2.1 million years. In that time, it has had three caldera forming eruptions, making an average gap of around 600,000 years between them. Considering that the last eruption was around 640,000 yeas ago, that's why scientist keep a close eye on this. Despite that, the odds of an eruption in our lifetime is very slim because they're giving several tens of thousands of years for estimates. Using the word "overdue" isn't really accurate. It could be hundreds of thousands of years until it blows and it would still make sense. All that's sure is that will blow... someday.

EDIT: Started typing before your edit.

I have heard of MT Pele. It's not in Hawaii, (Unless there is another Mt Pele I don't know about) Erupted on the ise of Martinique in 1902 in a even eerily similar to MT St Helens. The nearby town of 40,000 inhabitants was all but wiped out. One of only 2-3 survivors was a prisoner protected from the debris filled pyroclastic avalanche by his underground cell, but he wasn't shielded from the heat of the said pyroclastic surge and was badly burned. Apparently, after the eruption he was toured in a freak show as "The Man Who Escaped Hell."

And yeah, Mt Fuji is a remarkable natural beauty.

Edited by Shagger

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

The cloud formation in the pic is the thing that captured me and made me save the image.

It is a fascinating picture, and thanks again for sharing it. I'm not sure how that would happen, but I suspect it's more to do with weather patterns rather than volcanic activity. A humid, high pressure weather front being forced up the mountain for that moisture heavy air to cool at high altitude then sink back down?

Well, looks like I've kinda dropped the ball here, a few new questions I didn't even notice. Well, let's just clear these up.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:57 PM, DC said:

If you had to marry the last video game character you played, who would it be?

Well, the last character I've played as at the time of posting this is my latest light armour/sword and bow build in Oblivion. It is a female, an Ainmhi. A rave of people that are somewhere between Khajiit and human. That race isn't a part of the base game, It's part of a mod I installed to enhance the character creator. And now that I stop to look at her...

questiondc1.PNG.8753e0eec9e714b957578783e00c8b8f.PNG

... I suppose she is kinda cute. So maybe, if she was real, I would consi...

questiondc2.thumb.PNG.0b95795b6d57f40fe61a22a4b516c63a.PNG

... on second thought, never mind. 

On 7/27/2020 at 7:40 AM, AndreiMirfi said:

What are your favorite games?

I'll change my mind in about 5 minutes, but my top 10 in no particular order;

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. The Last of Us 1 and 2
  4. Burnout 3: Takedown
  5. Metal Gear Solid Franchise
  6. Final Fantasy 10 and 12
  7. Tales of Berseria
  8. Perfect Dark
  9.  Shadow of the Colossus
  10. Skyrim

30 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

What is your favourite national park that you have visited?

Incidentally, saw the discussion here about Yellowstone. I can highly recommend it. I spent five months there once, and I miss it every day of my life.

An interesting question because I live in Scotland, a country famous throughout the world for its natural beauty, but in fact only has one National Park, The Cairngorms, and I've never actually been there.

But yeah, I would love to visit Yellowstone.