Register Now
StaceyPowers

What movies would be better as video games?

Are there any movies which you think would have worked/would work better as a video game?

I don’t just mean “which movies should be made into video games,” but which stories/experiences told in a film format would be improved by a video game format.

I got to thinking about this because the idea of a TLOU movie has been thrown around, but it almost sounds like it would be redundant to me next to the video game experience of the story, which is so visceral/immediate.

So now I am wondering if there are any existing movies which would feel redundant in the same fashion had they been video games first—or even if they were made into video games now.

Nothing is coming to me off the top of my head, but I know while watching some movies I have had this thought before, especially about those which maybe featured stories that felt either shallow or rushed, but interesting action scenarios or worlds to explore.

With the right design concept and execution any story could be told just as good or even better as a video game.  I think The Last of Us is the perfect showcase of why. In most aspects it's linear of two characters going on a journey from A to B.  It's a setup that we know works fine for a movie or TV Drama but I don't think anybody really expected at the time that the additional element of interactivity could make for not only engaging gameplay but make you relate even more to the characters and get more engrossed in the story than perhaps you ordinarily would.

I heard about The Last of Us movie several years ago and the creative director of the game (Neil Druckman) even wrote a screenplay for it but It was put on indefinite hold.  To tell the truth I kinda hope it stays that way because I don't think the move could ever really do it justice... and it seems like I'm not the only one:

https://screenrant.com/last-of-us-movie-updates-not-happening-good/

From the Article:

Druckmann admitted that he didn't want the script he wrote for The Last of Us movie to be used. He had said: "...And even I worked on the script for The Last of Us film, which was a direct adaptation. And now, having some separation from it, I look back and [am] like, 'I don't want that movie to be made.'" Based on his comments, it certainly seems like Druckmann finished The Last of Us movie script quite some time ago but simply didn't want to see it turned into a movie, so it was never utilized.

By this point the Last of Us Part 2 was already in production (not to mention Uncharted 4) so Druckman put his focus on that instead.  So it's unlikely we will be seeing a movie adaptation in the near future.

I think another interesting example is Mortal Kombat, after a couple of games came out on home consoles and the Arcade there was a movie adaptation, opinions are divided about it (I liked it personally) but what it did was use the movie format to explain the lore and tell a story far better than the arcade fighter ever could.  Then over the years as gaming technology improved they were able to more storytelling elements like cutscenes, and when Netherrealms released Mortal kombat 9 and it told its story even better than the 1995 movie did. Now I hear that there is another movie on the horizon which might raise the bar again! Who knows!