Register Now
SaucyPastaTho

Discord, Skype & Other Chat Platforms

Built for gamers mostly, but other people use this software to communicate with friends and family from around the world. Is it getting old? The last major chat company I heard of was skype and it's actually dead but Discord has been on a roll lately except for there most recent "down time." I think discord has the potential to become a thing of the future.

What are your thoughts on Discord and other platforms used to talk and communicate with people?

Edit: Didn't know weather to put this in the gaming section or not since discord is mainly used for gaming communication but can be used for other things. 

Edited by SaucyPastaTho

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I think chat in any form is dead. Unless it's in-game. Any other time, I don't see it surviving much longer for any reason. Not to mention that discord is pure shit.

Couldn't agree with you less,  Discord is more lively and engaging when you find the right communities.  Especially during live gameplay sessions or events like E3 where new infomation comes out live.

Forum's have their place, for longer and more analytical content but for shorter term stuff, Discord is SO much better.

I have posted about the possibly of having a VGR discord before here and @DC explained how that wouldn't really work. All fair enough. Still, if members want to live chat or group up to play together we could organize such efforts on the forum them use Discord to make it work.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I think chat in any form is dead. Unless it's in-game. Any other time, I don't see it surviving much longer for any reason. Not to mention that discord is pure shit.

That's true I mean playstation has communities and xbox has something I don't know exactly what it is though.

Discord all day long for me. Just look at how many more perks this communication platform has to over some of the other competitors. I love using Discord to chat not only to gamers, but also to family and people who share the same interests with me. 

image.png

Edited by Alexander.

Teamspeak used to be number one for all gamers to use, other then Skype. Then you had mumble back then that people use. I remember using a free voice chat software that was free that only allow max of so many people in at once, no text chat though. Just voice. 

But nowadays, Discord killed Teamspeak and more option to pick. Discord is number one now 🙂 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Teamspeak used to be number one for all gamers to use, other then Skype. Then you had mumble back then that people use. I remember using a free voice chat software that was free that only allow max of so many people in at once, no text chat though. Just voice. 

But nowadays, Discord killed Teamspeak and more option to pick. Discord is number one now 🙂 

I never used Teamspeak, but a few events I was a part of, the people we played with, wanted us to all use teamspeak and we were more into using Discord. 

Teamspeak is good back then, I mean major community still using teamspeak since what it offers to what DIscord does not offer, like able to play around with sounds and off-clicks and whatnot. But then people came up with mods to able to have radios in GTA to talk to all people on that channel. Then Teamspeak team came to 2020 and said that we are going to improve and update to teamspeak 4 and the previews is as same as what DIscord is WTF 😞 Fail 

On 1/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, Shagger said:

I have posted about the possibly of having a VGR discord before here and @DC explained how that wouldn't really work. All fair enough. Still, if members want to live chat or group up to play together we could organize such efforts on the forum them use Discord to make it work.

Sounds like a good idea. Discord activity is far from dead - As a matter of fact, it's one of the liveliest platforms around and has so many communities.