Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you want from a storyline in a video game?

In another thread, @Crazycrab and I were talking about how The Last of Us arguably could never be as good in a film format as it is in a video game format. Personally, I think that the reason for this is in part the sheer simplicity of the story. It is the kind of story that on a screen, I think some people would be left asking “Is there more …?” But in a video game, it worked brilliantly.

This got me thinking about what makes for a good story in a video game. What do you look for in order to say that you really enjoyed a video game’s plot?

My favorite video game stories are TLOU and the BioShock games. TLOU has a very simple, minimalist plot, whereas the BioShock games have fairly elaborate storylines. So, I think for me, how a story is told counts for more than the complexity or simplicity of a storyline in a game. What these stories do have in common is a strong focus on characters along with a focus on examining moral choices. So I guess that must be what I like in video game stories. What about you?

Well written, relatable characters and an interesting world and setting are more important that a complex, unique plot in a video game, more so than a movie or TV show. I'm not saying complex plots are bad things, they really aren't and can enhance a gameplay experience greatly. I just feel that connecting with characters yourself control, rather than just observing them and exploring a world through your own eyes and actions rather just seeing it shifts the priorities that video games need to take as storytelling experiences.

Edited by Shagger

I never felt as much as you do in the Bioshock series. I thought it was fast paced shooter with a moral dilemma. And I can compare that to Wolfenstein in the killing of Nazis. But the story just wasn't impactful like The Last Of Us was. You are right, the story in TLOU was simple. And maybe you are right; that simplicity can make a show or movie seem lame. Maybe it can't compare to the game where you immerse in physically and control a character wondering a world gone to shit. We can watch it on tv, but will it ever be the same??? Yes. Because any story can be special if everything is done correctly. I think what makes a good story out of simplicity is a phrase called 'the catch'. That catch can be anything. And it depends on everything such as character development. 

A good story makes us attached to something that we either strive for something or there is something we don't want to lose. Development is more critical than conflict. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

It's important if it's important to how the game works. Sometimes it isn't. Best example would be Animal Crossing, as I can play an AC game for months despite there being no traditional narrative. The best narrative is either in half life/half life 2. The story itself is nothing special but the way it's told is the part that I really like.

With any game storyline that I'm playing, I'd like to have it very compelling, with a little bit of pressure in it and finally, it must be clearly linking from one plot to another and not all jumbled up together which makes it look messy.