Register Now
StaceyPowers

Console vs PC: which do you usually prefer?

35 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Actualy no. PCs are lot cheaper for multiple usage. 

1. Routine work (browsing, email etc)

2. Gaming as primary work

3. Streaming. 

You can't do all of this with the console and it tends to add just dead weight with console. Piracy is hardly an issue these days with the microtransaction sucking the money of people. 

Sorry, but that's not entirely accurate.

Going back to the 80's, 90's and into the 2000's, PC 's (Personal Computers) were all designed as a utility for what you described as the "routine work" with some capacity for playing games on them. However, and very recently, PC's changed. And they changed because they had to.

The utilities these large, impractical and expensive devices became more accessible on newer devices like cheap laptops, tablet computers and phones. Even offices began using more efficient servers with connected workstations rathen than individual computers. The Utility PC, us pretty much dead.  

Gaming PC'S, or at least as we know, are also comparatively new. Obviously, PC gaming itself is not new, but the technology that defines them today exsist because gaming is why and how PC's stayed relevant in this modern age. The utility capacity for PC's is not lost, so technically @skyfireisn't wrong, but it's not really an advantage anymore. The point is you don't need a gaming PC when a simple notebook or even tablet can do the utility work just as well, so that doesn't sell PC's anymore. The only thing traditional desktop computers still exist for in 2020 (and most of the previous decade) is gaming. The expensive, arbitrary luxury that is the Gaming PC.

It's also perfectly possible to stream from a console as well, so I really don't know you said that. And combine a simple laptop with a game's console and you would have the bases covered and it still cost less than a gaming rig, making PC gaming still more expensive.

@Crazycrabtouched on how PC game deals don't make the platform much more affordable these days either. It's just not as good as it used to be with digital console games having more competitive sales and the advantages of physical media, but there's another factor. People have lost the difference between cost and value. Value us defined buy the individual as to how much said product or service is worth to them, so each to their own to define it. Cost is simply what one parts with for that service, it's a simple fact that cannot be debated, and that's whare the PC has a problem.

Yes, it's very possible to draw better value out if the fact PC's do still have better game deals and the fact you don't pay to play online. However, you only get that extra value back a little bit each time you buy a game, so to offset the significantly higher cost of the hardware, that means buying a lot of games. That COSTS more money, even it it may offer more VALUE, see the difference? For someone who would buy a few AAA titles and exclusives a year, that would just not be worth it.

In conclusion, the PC is more expensive. By miles.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Actualy no. PCs are lot cheaper for multiple usage. 

1. Routine work (browsing, email etc)

2. Gaming as primary work

3. Streaming. 

You can't do all of this with the console and it tends to add just dead weight with console. Piracy is hardly an issue these days with the microtransaction sucking the money of people. 

Let's do a rough add up:

A Gaming PC for gaming and work with all the hardware and software necessary for a streaming set up, about $1000 minimum.

A Console and a reasonable (but not gaming) laptop, $350 + $250 = $600.  If you want to stream using the desktop app or web browser istead of the console app you'll need a capture device, $600 + $100 = $700.

Your still MILES away from the truth.

None of that is really relevant anyway, your talking about someone who games professionally as a full time job.  Whether it be a Twitch Streamer, YouTuber, Reviewer, Journalist or whatever. I would expect someone in the position to by default to have a decent PC and most if not all the consoles to maximise the range of their content and support their income.  The rest of us are talking about the other 99% percent of the world that game and maybe stream a little as a hobby. Most people who's job doesn't directy involve gaming don't need a PC for browsing the web, checking their email of producing documents. A reasonably priced laptop or tablet and a smartphone are more than sufficient.

Gaming on a PC is more expensive than a console and I don't even mean that in a derogatory way.  There are advantages to a PC, I'm simply stating that cost is not one of them.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 1/7/2020 at 7:21 PM, Crazycrab said:

Well I game mostly on PC these days and I use a controiller most of the time, In fact the only time I tend to use mouse and Keyboard is....

...yeah when I'm doing this!  I'm sure he means game like Total War, Command and Conquer, Anno and such.  The interface suits M/K so much better than a controller, I also like M/K for some flying and shooters games but for pretty much everthing else I use a controller.

There are some people that argue that in competitve games like First Person Shooters and Moba's that PC's are better becuase the mouse is more acuurate and with the right hardware you can get better framerates that you can do on consoles.  They might even be right but I've got a beastly PC and 144Hz G-Sync monitor and trust me, I still suck! 🤣

MK? I didn't know Mortal Kombat had cars in it now.  :p.  

7 minutes ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

MK? I didn't know Mortal Kombat had cars in it now.  :p.  

You know what, Mortal Kombat SHOULD have cars in it!  I wanna cut off Raiden's head and use it car battery!  Or have an exhaust made out of Scorpions spine!  This opens up so many cool possibilities!

59 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

You know what, Mortal Kombat SHOULD have cars in it!  I wanna cut off Raiden's head and use it car battery!  Or have an exhaust made out of Scorpions spine!  This opens up so many cool possibilities!

Anybody here remember Motor Kombat ? xD man that was actually a good kart racing game.

8 minutes ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

That's a diss to the new players, they'll think it has cars in it, futuristic fighting. 😛  😛  

Or who remembers MK chess or the adventure/beat'em up story mode of MK Armageddon , or even worse the 2d side scroller of N64 MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero!! man MK has tried everything xD

15 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Or who remembers MK chess or the adventure/beat'em up story mode of MK Armageddon , or even worse the 2d side scroller of N64 MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero!! man MK has tried everything xD

The only actual fighting game I'd play besides megaman was teken, I used to love that game back in the PS2 days.

27 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Anybody here remember Motor Kombat ? xD man that was actually a good kart racing game.

I remember Carmageddon, come to think if it that pretty much was Mortal Kombat on wheels!

We're really getting off topic here!

51 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I remember Carmageddon, come to think if it that pretty much was Mortal Kombat on wheels!

We're really getting off topic here!

xD alright back to topic

I was actually thinking of getting a better laptop for gaming, but all the "good" stuff is between  600 or 1000 dollars, if anybody has a tip for something more cheap it will be much appreciated. I'm not looking for anything fancy nor I'm trying to run current AAA games.

38 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

xD alright back to topic

I was actually thinking of getting a better laptop for gaming, but all the "good" stuff is between  600 or 1000 dollars, if anybody has a tip for something more cheap it will be much appreciated. I'm not looking for anything fancy nor I'm trying to run current AAA games.

Honestly, you're being ambitious there. I know of no new Laptop with a dedicated GPU for less that $600 (I assume US dollars is the currency you mean). Trust me, I was shopping for a laptop not even three months ago, so I have a good idea what the market is like right now. You really have three options;

1) Find one with an APU that could handle some games, but expect to only run very low end stuff (your post implies you have a laptop already, and will probably have integrated graphics)

2) Working to increase your budget (Save, work extra hours, sell some internal organs ect)

3) Look at second hand models (A risky area, but you can get good deals there with a bit of luck).

Even for lowest level gaming, in 2020 I would not wish to see anybody settle for less than a GTX 950 or equivalent at the very least.

Edited by Shagger

4 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Honestly, you're being ambitious there. I know of no new Laptop with a dedicated GPU for less that $600 (I assume US dollars is the currency you mean). Trust me, I was shopping for a laptop not even three months ago, so I have a good idea what the market is like right now. You really have three options;

1) Find one with an APU that could handle some games, but expect to only run very low end stuff (your post implies you have a laptop already, and will probably have integrated graphics)

2) Working to increase your budget (Save, work extra hours, sell some internal organs ect)

3) Look at second hand models (A risky area, but you can get good deals there with a bit of luck).

Even for lowest level gaming, in 2020 I would not wish to see anybody settle for less than a GTX 950 or equivalent at the very least.

Sorry I'm new to all this, I have been a console gamer for many years so I never had to worry for the specs of a computer 😆. Well I personally dont have a laptop but its not mine, its my girlfriend's laptop and its a pretty weak laptop. The GTX 950 is with in the price range of what I have seen so far, but it gives me an idea on what to look for. Thank you

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Sorry I'm new to all this, I have been a console gamer for many years so I never had to worry for the specs of a computer 😆. Well I personally dont have a laptop but its not mine, its my girlfriend's laptop and its a pretty weak laptop. The GTX 950 is with in the price range of what I have seen so far, but it gives me an idea on what to look for. Thank you

Even with that, I would rather you didn't go for it. If you want a portable system for games with a good rage low demand indie titles, buy a Switch.

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

One last post replying to this. I have MKM: Sub-Zero. I honestly don't think abomination is a strong enough word to describe that piece of shit train wreck. If you want an accurate analysis just watch the video: