Register Now
StaceyPowers

Illogical things in video games

Video game universes are full of silly illogical things. Do these things annoy you? Or do you just find them funny? Or do you tend to miss them?

For example, consider games like Skyrim or Dragon Age where you are plunging into caves all the time, most of which contain a liberal amount of lit candles and torches. This becomes pretty odd when you stop to think about it. Who is lighting all these things? Darkspawn? Draugr? Where are they doing their shopping for supplies? Where are they crafting them?

There is even a joke about this in the Dragon Age Origins Awakening expansion, where someone says something while examining a lit torch like, “How does it keep doing that over all these years? Is there something special about the bracket?”

I tend to find these things more funny than irritating, but I know some people may get annoyed by logical holes like these. Where do you weigh in? What are some similar examples of illogical things you have noticed in games?

@kingpotato @LadyDay @Crazycrab @Shagger @killamch89 @Alyxx @The Blackangel @skyfire

I noticed that very same thing in Castlevania SOTN. There are thousands of candles all over the map, and I have wondered many times just who it is that goes around lighting and replacing candles all over the castle. I wonder about nonsensical things like that all the time.

In Zelda OoT I've often wondered where the gold skulltulas came from and why they only cursed that one family. Also that was the first appearance of the Gerudos, Gorons, and friendly Zoras. Where did they come from? Zoras were always shooting fireballs at me in previous games, but Gerudos and Gorons didn't even exist.

In Blaster Master Jason's pet frog jumps down a hole in his back yard that he just happened to never notice that led to a complete other world and a fucking tank that he instinctively knew how to use and what the mission was down there.

There's also a bit of a goofy thing in Zelda: A Link To The Past. How the hell do rats get so much money? Killing them is a gold mine.

In DKC on SNES, explain to me exactly why a crocodile would be interested in stealing an apes banana stash?

Is Bowser in love with the princess or is he just an asshole? But then why is everyone so friendly racing go karts?

In what universe is Sonic a fucking hedgehog? I had a pet hedgehog. Trust me, Sonic is not a hedgehog.

Some of these things are more out there than others. I've also wondered off and on who invented things like bread? Where did cookies and cake come from? How did steel come about? It's a man made alloy, and not natural like iron. In the beginning Earth was pretty much a ball of molten rock and nothing else. Where did water come from? And speaking of water why isn't it flammable? Before you call me an idiot think about it. The chemical composition of water is H2O. Two atoms of Hydrogen and one of Oxygen. Hydrogen is a flammable gas and fire requires oxygen to burn. So why isn't water flammable?

I'm weird, but at least I have an inquisitive mind.

I always find it quite funny how much stuff the characters can carry. It's especially prominent in The Sims, where there's no limit to how much Sims can carry around in their pockets, including bicycles and other such big things. In fact they don't even need to have pockets. And you don't see them carry it, it's just gone. But characters in most other games, even with limits to their inventory weight, can carry more than humanly possible, without being hindered in their ability to move or such. But I don't mind it, in fact I'd find it annoying to have inventory kept to the weight a human could carry around. You wouldn't be able to pick much up.