Register Now
The Blackangel

Spots in games you never could have made it through without a guide

Everyone has to have been there at least once. You get to a spot in a game, and spend possibly months trying to advance with no luck. The path forward is hidden so well that nothing is giving you any clue forward. I've been there. As I'm playing FF8 right now there's a spot on disc 1 that made me think of this topic. Quistis, Zell, and Selphie have just gotten back to Caraway's mansion to apologize to Rinoa and are now locked in. There's a painting in the room that is supposed to be a clue, albeit one that is not any form of good. How the hell are you supposed to know that taking a glass off the shelf and putting it in the statues hand will open a secret passage? If I hadn't had a guide in the beginning, I would never have made it to disc 2. There is no possible way that someone would look at that and instantly know what to do.

A guide was required. Also some of the GF's are so well hidden and the items needed to get them are so well hidden that you're shit out of luck without a guide, unless you're the luckiest person alive.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, The Blackangel said:

. How the hell are you supposed to know that taking a glass off the shelf and putting it in the statues hand will open a secret passage?

That is EXACTLY the sort of thing that sends me to the internet looking for a solution. I am not a huge fan of puzzles in general, but if they have a clear, underlying logic to them, that’s usually something I can deal with. But like you said, how the hell were you even supposed to think of taking those required random actions to access the passage? What thought process was supposed to make you go, “Oh, obviously I need to do this?”

I can’t think of specific examples, but there were a couple of those for me in Skyrim, and also in Dragon Age. Once I understood what I was supposed to be doing, I could complete the puzzles without further assistance, but I had to look up what I was meant to be doing in the first place. I really resent when these things crop up out of nowhere unexpectedly, as it is a massive disruption to my gaming.

There's been a few games where I'd get stuck. Mostly puzzle games. I think one game that comes to mind, is the Turing Test. That's a puzzle game, and I remember a couple parts I need to access a walkthrough. It's usually with puzzle games, or games where you're stuck in a maze like area. 

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm going to be honest and say that the Omega fight in FF8 is where I had to look at a a guide just to learn how to beat that thing. The fact that he dealt 9999 damage on most attacks made things really awkward.

Ultima Weapon or Omega Weapon? They're the same basic boss (graphically speaking) but found in different locations. Omega Weapon is in Ultimecia's castle, and Ultima Weapon is in the Deep Sea Research Center. Both are pussies if you have the right magic and abilities junctioned.

The first thing I thought of was all those old Sierra adventure games, but that's kind of an obvious answer, because it's literally impossible to beat any of those without outside help. Sierra was a sadist back then.
A more recent example that comes to mind was fighting Bane in Batman: Arkham Asylum. If I remember right, it was the first boss in the game that had a "trick" to it, outside of "hit it until it dies". Even when I saw the YouTube video of the guy beating him, it took me a minute to figure out what he was doing 😛