Register Now
StaceyPowers

Timed missions: love em or hate em?

I just got to a rare timed mission in Dragon Age: Inquisition. I actually kind of like it, since it isn’t the entire mission that is timed, just sections of it, and the reason for the time limit makes sense logistically and arguably enhances immersion in the situation.

That being said, for me, putting up with this is an exception—usually I hate timed missions. And the worst of all for me are timed games. They instantly make me feel stressed. It is also hard to predict how much time you have for each segment of the mission or game, so you have to rush through everything by default at full speed, and you never get a chance to appreciate all the details. It is easy to miss a ton of content that way.

The one that stuck in my memory as driving me crazy this way as a kid was Wishbringer by Infocom (a text adventure). As a small child, the time limit was enough to stop me from ever getting through the game successfully, though I believe it is one of the easier Infocom games.

How do you feel about missions or games which are timed? Do you love them, loathe them, or are you more neutral in how you feel about them?

@skyfire @Shagger @DylanC @Alyxx @Crazycrab @LadyDay @The Blackangel @killamch89 @kingpotato

Hate them with a passion for certain games. For example, there is a trucking game on PS4 called Truck Driver. Now, for some reason, the developers decided to add timed missions to the game and some of them are almost impossible unless you drive like you do on GTA. No idea why they did that for a game where most people want to drive calmly whilst following the rules of the road.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Darth said:

Hate them with a passion for certain games. For example, there is a trucking game on PS4 called Truck Driver. Now, for some reason, the developers decided to add timed missions to the game and some of them are almost impossible unless you drive like you do on GTA. No idea why they did that for a game where most people want to drive calmly whilst following the rules of the road.

That does sound like it is ridiculously out of place. Are the timed missions avoidable, or are you forced to play them?

Maybe if there are only like 3 of them in a total of 25 missions, then why not.

DLC's for Mafia 2 had all missions with timers that they were so annoying (they actually added timers, so people could compete and show off their best records, but as i'm not interested in competition, i just installed a patch that removes them).

Having timers all over missions makes you stop focusing on the fun of the game and keep rushing instead...

Depends on the type of mission. I love the sniper missions on Hitman where you've got a time limit and have to do as much as you can within that time limit. So long as you don't get caught, you can take your time and set up what you need, then time runs out and what you've managed is scored. That's fine.