Register Now
StaceyPowers

When are you not in the mood for gaming?

I was posting in another thread asking what games people like to play when feeling down. I was half-surprised when @Shagger and @LadyDay both mentioned that they tend not to play games when they are feeling down, and prefer other activities instead.

Gaming is pretty much my go-to activity especially when I am feeling anxious, depressed, fatigued, etc. It gives my brain something to latch onto and offers some structure and routine.

So, this made me curious to ask everyone here. When are you not in the mood to game? When you are sad? Angry? Bored? Scared? Distracted? Excited about something else? What moods make your console or PC look totally unappealing?

Any game worthwhile has something in it that demands your input to get from one place to the next, to progress. If one is not in a place where such demands are welcome, then that's the place where one may not be in the mood to play video games. I get that you find games so comforting because video games are the not only ultimate distraction, but achieve that through empowerment making video games potentially a very easy way to subdue depression. I love games for the same reason, but that's not always the best solution for me.

When I'm too depressed to do or enjoy anything, that tends to include games too. Sometimes I can just sit and stare into space, feeling miserable, while even the smallest activity feels like a impossible, Herculean effort. So that's game breaking and no fun.

When I'm anxious I can't play games that require a certain level of tension, Adrenalin, fast reaction speeds or requires a good overview of a situation. F.eks. games that require fighting. That's when calming activities such as drawing or reading are better. 

I also just have multiple hobbies, so sometimes I'm simply more in the mood for another of them than for gaming. 

It's nostalgia. When I get that longing for the past, thinking about the mistakes I've made, the road not taken, or simply good times that'll never come back.

When I'm not in the mood for anything I usually juts browse the net clicking on forums, looking for a topic to distract my mind. So thanks for creating these, I enjoy them even when I'm not down.

Edited by m76

2 hours ago, Patrik said:

Only when i'm having compulsive thoughts about a certain thing, because it literally destroys my mood and makes me not willing to do anything but thinking about it...

Same here more or less.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:46 AM, skyfire said:

I think weekend these days are more or less stressed for me. Lot of things come out on me and it becomes harder to handle. 

I can totally relate to that as well. My life has become a whole lot more hectic since the whole pandemic.

18 hours ago, Patrik said:

Only when i'm having compulsive thoughts about a certain thing, because it literally destroys my mood and makes me not willing to do anything but thinking about it...

I know exactly what you're talking about. More often than not, I'm thinking about CTB. Obviously I haven't done it. Yet. When I get into that state of mind though, I don't want to do anything.

40 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I know exactly what you're talking about. More often than not, I'm thinking about CTB. Obviously I haven't done it. Yet. When I get into that state of mind though, I don't want to do anything.

I can totally relate but my way to snap out of this is to give myself about 3 hours at most before I find something to do to get myself out of that rut. I find that going to hang out with my dogs always lifts my mood.

It depends on my mood, and how much work I have. If I have a lot of work during the week, I tend to not game a whole lot. I just sometimes don't feel like games are needed. There are times where I don't game for a week or two. It's become a thing with me. I will play a game for a few hours, and then I don't play anything for days to come. 

I often find I watch more tv or movies than I game lately. I've played Cyberpunk 2077 a week ago, maybe nearing 2 weeks now. But I just played a game called Donut County last night. Now I don't know what I'm going to play. I may jump onto some Cyberpunk soon, or maybe even wait to play until that Medium game comes out on the 28th. 🙂