Register Now
The Blackangel

Close Minded Gaming

I think I'm a culprit here of this though process. What I mean by this, is when you get to a point that you have certain games in your library, mainly your favorite ones that you play and replay all the time, that you lose interest in trying new games unless it's a part of a favorite series. But lets forget buying new editions to favorite series' for the moment. Does else anyone feel that they're in that situation? I have tons of games that have some of the best gamer reviews that I haven't played because I don't know if I want to get involved in something new. I think I have a stick-with-what-you-know attitude. For example, I have Skyrim. I've never once even put it in the machine. I've played maybe 10 minutes of The WItcher 3. These are all the games I have on PS3:

Assassins Creed 1,2,3
Bound By Flame
Castlevania Lords Of Shadows 1,2
Dantes Inferno
Dark Kingdom
Darksiders 1,2
Dark Souls 1,2
Demons Souls
Devil May Cry 1,2,3,4
Dishonored (2 Copies)
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age Inquisition Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (DA Origins, DA Origins Awakening)
Dragons Dogma
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
Fallen Angel Sacred II
Family Guy Back To The Multiverse
Final Fantasy X, X2
God Of War 1,2,3, Chains Of Olympus, Ghost Of Sparta, Ascension
Heavenly Sword
Hunted: The Demons Forge
Infamous Collection (Infamous, Infamous2, Infamous: Festival Of Blood)
Lair
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Reckoning Kingdom Of Amalur
Rise Of The Argonauts
Risen 2 Dark Waters
Risen 3 Titan Lords
South Park The Stick Of Truth
Thief
Two Worlds

Have I played any of them? A couple. Most of them I've never even played once. I had full intentions of playing them when I bought them. The same goes for the Xbox One and PS4 games I have. But I've never touched them. I don't know why. I think it's more of a fear of the unknown thing for me. Like I'm scared of trying something new. I spent the first 18 years of my life being beaten daily by my drunk bastard sperm donor (aka father), and told to the extreme how worthless I am by my narcissistic egg donor (aka mother). When that's your life you end up afraid of new things. So I don't know if I'm just being close minded, or if I'm truly afraid of trying something new. Or maybe I'm afraid of liking it if I do.

Anyone else feel this way?

Edited by The Blackangel

I do have this attitude now and then, yeah. I don't touch most of the games I have on my Xbox because I'm usually too busy playing Stellaris or some other strategy game on my computer. I do have days where I play something else by my own will – the other day I finally got around to playing DOOM (2016) for the first time – but otherwise the only time I end up playing something else outside of my norm is when I literally can't play the games I normally play anymore, at least in the manner I want to.

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The same goes for the Xbox One and PS4 games I have. But I've never touched them. I don't know why. I think it's more of a fear of the unknown thing for me. Like I'm scared of trying something new. I spent the first 18 years of my life being beaten daily by my drunk bastard sperm donor (aka father), and told to the extreme how worthless I am by my narcissistic egg donor (aka mother). When that's your life you end up afraid of new things.

I can kind of relate. I also have ended up with a “fear of trying new things” related to my childhood, but also a compulsive urge to “do it anyway.”

Trying something new was always risky in our household growing up. There was nothing more unpleasant than loving something, whether it was music, a game, a book, a show, a fashion, or a friend, only to have our narrow-minded, narcissistic mother bring down the ban hammer on that thing or person whilst hardcore shaming us for liking whatever it was.

So anytime I want to try something new, there’s always this knee-jerk urge to do it in secret or not at all, because someone might judge and condemn me. Then I’m like, “Wait, I’m an adult, I can do what I want.”

For whatever reason, gaming has felt like my own “safe zone” where I can try anything new I want without worrying about it. I have zero clue why this is. So I have had no problem trying new things there. But I still struggle with it in every other area of life. Want to listen to a new band? Wait until no one else is home. Need to watch a video someone sent? Put on headphones and watch it in private, etc.

Over the past couple years, I've made serious efforts to push outside my comfort zone and try things I want to do though, and it's been reassuring how there have been almost no "consequences." So, it does seem to be getting (slowly) easier. I think this is an area where it is possible to at least partly retrain the brain.

Edited by StaceyPowers

Yeah, that's a problem with many - and it's  not only gaming - but with music, shows, or movies.   I mean, a lot of people like what's familiar. However, though, venturing out can be very rewarding, but sometimes, not - lol.   Well, I think some may have tried new things - and it was so bad - it discouraged future tries?  Anyone think so?

O.K., well, from business - we know that recommendations can help something new - as in If people seem to like it, then people are more apt to try it.  Anyway, though, the OP noted a list of games - which obviously had good reviews.

Edited by Jayson

On 2/17/2020 at 1:42 AM, Jayson said:

Yeah, that's a problem with many - and it's  not only gaming - but with music, shows, or movies.   I mean, a lot of people like what's familiar. However, though, venturing out can be very rewarding, but sometimes, not - lol.   Well, I think some may have tried new things - and it was so bad - it discouraged future tries?  Anyone think so?

O.K., well, from business - we know that recommendations can help something new - as in If people seem to like it, then people are more apt to try it.  Anyway, though, the OP noted a list of games - which obviously had good reviews.

I think there is a specific cognitive bias which causes people to be prone to liking that which is familiar--i.e. if a person hears a pop song on the radio enough times, they may lean toward liking it by default over time, even if they originally did not.