Register Now
StaceyPowers

Fallout players: do you level lockpicking or science?

As weird as this sounds, for some reason I only just realized last night that lockpicking and science are really closely related skills in Fallout games. There are so many situations where you can move through a quest either by picking the lock on a safe or by hacking a computer terminal.

So, I figure most players pick one or the other and pour most of their skill points into that chosen ability. That’s what I always do, however unconsciously.

So, which one do you prefer, and why?

Between them, I feel like science is a more valuable skill than lockpicking for a couple of reasons.

First of all, I prefer the hacking mini-game. It is technically more of a pain in the arse, but for some reason, I just enjoy it.

Secondly, there are situations where science sometimes can be useful for getting through a quest with an option unrelated to hacking a terminal, where lockpicking would be entirely useless. For instance, you need a high science skill to help steer the rockets in Come Fly With Me. I can’t think of a time when lockpicking offered a better story outcome which was otherwise unavailable.

Do you prefer leveling up lockpicking or science, or do you typically level up both? If so, what are your reasons?

@kingpotato @DylanC