Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is C4 kind of useless in Fallout NV?

So I am doing the quest for Cass in Fallout NV for the first time, and am trying to take the “peaceful” resolution to her situation with the Van Graffs. This requires me to break into either a hard safe or a hard computer terminal to get information.

The level requirement to bust into either the safe or the computer seem entirely ridiculous to me for this quest, so I was trying to find an alternative, and I saw someone recommend blowing up the safe with C4.

So, I went and bought some C4, stuck it on top of the safe, and detonated it. Nothing happened. I put it in front of the safe door, touching the safe, and detonated it. Nothing happened.

Am I doing something wrong, or is C4 not viable for blowing up safes, either in NV or in other Fallout games? Is this something that works in another Fallout title but not this one?

I never used the C4 until now, and the explosion didn’t seem all that noteworthy in general. Considering the hefty price tag attached to the stuff (like 1300 caps), it seems pretty useless. Can anyone explain why it is so rare and expensive when it doesn’t seem all that great?

@DylanC @kingpotato