Register Now
The Blackangel

The Early Days

Is there anyone else here that feels the early days of some series' are better than the current era? I'm talking the really big well known series' of games. Sonic, SMB, Zelda, CoD, GTA, etc. Personally I feel that way on several games. Not just because I'm a classic gamer, but because I think the best entries the companies released were in the early days of that series. To me the best Zelda game released is the original one. But that one aside its a tie between Links Awakening (GameBoy) and Ocarina (N64). With SMB I will always say Mario 2. Just because it's so wildly different and offers so many different challenges that Mario never faced again. I never truly was able to decipher a difference between any of the first 3 Sonic games that was enough to set them apart, so I can't comment on that one. My favorite Mega Man will always be MM3. The one thing about that game that I'll never understand is why so often when you attack with TopSpin it drains all your attack power with that one attack. My favorite GoW is Chains Of Olympus. It was initially released on the PSP, and is the game that made me a GoW fan.

I have the same opinion on some games, for example I was a huge fan of Halo back in the 360 era, but after bungie left Halo 4 wasnt as good as H3 and Reach, and Halo 5 as well didnt hit the mark, so for me the original games made by bungie where better. With Assassins creed I havent the most recent ones so I cant speak for all of them, but for me the best one was AC2, but my favorite is AC4 although this one is more like a pirate simulator rather than an assassins game. Same goes for the COD games, the first two Modern warfare games where my favorites but I cant argue that the most recent COD games are better and more polished.

The more corporate gaming becomes, the more statistics driven its design is, the more it stops surprising you.
So breakthrough classics tend to surprise the hell out of you, and have a lot to prove. Once proven, they are now an investment opportunity.
I would say though.... some first party games particularly for Sony and Nintendo, have been more interested in pushing a series forward to captivate fans and sell hardware.
I tend to prefer those kinds of sequels. Some games that may not be necessarily first party, are often still get their creativity backed by a hardware manufacturer to show off their product. Those can have interesting results too.

My difficulty with COD by name, is it is now just a formula. AC, is also just a formula. They have basically abandoned its whole meta-story now.
I would argue these are impressively good formulas, but most original fans stopped caring awhile ago because of increasing redundancy.

God of war for PS4 was a good example of a series surprising its audience and being a good showpiece. Would love to see more series try things like this.

1 hour ago, AI_Impaired said:

AC, is also just a formula. They have basically abandoned its whole meta-story now.
I would argue these are impressively good formulas, but most original fans stopped caring awhile ago because of increasing redundancy.

I'm one of those people that think that's a good thing, The whole Desmond/Animus storyline was baggage that I never really felt any reason to care about and it got in the way of the actual fun parts of the games .  When they ended it along with putting less focus on the Animus material the games got better immediately. In my opinion Assassins Creed is one of those few series that (aside form Unity, with all it's technical issues) has gotten better over time.

With that being said when looking back at the past few years it has been a mixed bag when it comes to entrances in older franchises.  The only ones that really stand out for me are those games that do significant refreshes on the original rather than doing the same thing.  Things like the re-booted Tomb Raider, Capcom's recent Resident Evil games and the aforementioned God of War.