Register Now
WBM1992

Atari 2600 Emulation

40 minutes ago, WBM1992 said:

FYI after 14 years the Atari 2600 series was discontinued on January 1, 1992.

How many launch titles are in the entire series?

It's impossible to tell. Atari 2600 games weren't made and sold like games today. It was a totally open platform, there were no licences. Anyone with the ability to develop and manufacture 2600 games could simply do so then sell them. It was more like Steam than a console as we know it today.

There are thousands of games on the 2600, for exactly the reasons @Shagger mentioned. Anyone could make a game in their basement and sell copies on the street corner. You just needed the materials and a little bit of programming knowledge. I just did a count, and I have 72 different game titled cartridges, and duplicates of several of them. Some of them are multigame cartridges. I'm not even close to scratching the surface. I'm at the back of the line to do so. if you can think of it, chances are, you can find it or something damn close to it on Atari 2600.

Like @Shagger and @The Blackangel anybody and their dog who had access to a computer could make a game for the Atari 2600 and sell it.  Some of their competitors even had peripherals that would allow you to play 2600 games on thier systems.  The reason for this is kind of amusing, although Atari did file a patent for the product which included the physical design of the console and controller, they cheaped out on the inside and used 3rd party tech that could be used by anyone.  Even years later SEGA used the same controller connectors for the Genisis/Megadrive so those controllers work on the Atari as well as Commodore computer's and others.  This would be insane today but like all of us the Video Game industry was once young and stuipid.