Register Now
StaceyPowers

Types of combat or game play that have grown on you?

For years, I never liked using stealth techniques in games if I could avoid them. I wasn’t very good at them, for one thing. For another, I just preferred the action of running and gunning. It felt more focus, and stealth involved a lot of waiting and anxiety.

What’s weird is I’m on my second playthrough of TLOU and I find myself taking a stealthier approach voluntarily this time. TLOU always pushed me in terms of getting me used to stealth, but the first time through, I did very little sneaking and choking of opponents. This time around, I find that is my go-to approach for most rooms if I can manage it. I sneak around and choke as many opponents silently as possible, and am completing sections in some cases without using any ammo which I wouldn’t have thought I could get through that way the first time.

It still takes a lot of patience, but I guess I simply am more patient nowadays. Anxiety has been replaced by a sense of satisfaction at feeling I am in control of a situation and my opponents are not.

Have you had any unexpected changes regarding how you feel about a particular combat style? Have you grown to love an approach you initially disliked, or vice versa?

I'm actually the opposite, I've always preferred to use the careful, indirect or stealthy approach.  Doing as much as possible while expending as little energy and resources as possible even if it takes longer rather than charging in like Galahad and I've never really deviated from that.  Even now on my dozenth or so playthrough of Skyrim the Bow is still my primary and I can't seem to break the habit even when I try.  So naturally TLOU is a game that panders exactly to my playstyle.

It all depends on the game. Most of the games I play are either an above aerial view, or a side scroller which doesn't offer much in the way of stealth options. However in the few games I can think of that I play that have the player option, I tend to go with a bit of stealth. I try to be as stealthy as I can in GoW and in Dante's Inferno. I recently started playing Darksiders for the first time, and I'm still learning the mechanics of that, but I go with stealth when I can. Unless there are humans around. Then I go nuts and slaughter them.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

For me the FPS and one specific angle with FPS game kind of got me. Be it in serious sam or the darksider or the DMC. The action and the FPS games have that angle. which you don't see in the RPG. 

I'm confused...  What Angle and of the 3 games you mentioned only Serious Sam is an FPS.

One game that I thought of that I play that has a few moments where you need a bit of stealth is Zelda OoT. The two that stick out to me the most are the Forest Temple and the Gerudo's Fortress. The only part in the Forest Temple is when you have to shoot the paintings to draw out those Poe sisters. You have to hide from an angle she can't see you and pick off the painting she's in. In the Gerudo's Fortress, you have to be very careful where you go there, or you could walk right up in front of one. You have to hide from their view then pick them off when their back is turned and they've moved far away enough that you have time to nail them.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 1/26/2020 at 8:16 AM, Crazycrab said:

I'm confused...  What Angle and of the 3 games you mentioned only Serious Sam is an FPS.

I was referring to game camera angle. in case of FPS like serious sam you have characters vision angle. In case of darksiders and DMC you have third person angle. though only serious sam is FPS, rest of the two games are game i like playing or as OPs context, grown on me.