Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long do you wait to level?

When I am playing a game where I only control one character, I usually distribute my points and pick my perks right away (unless saving perks for later, as in Skyrim). But when I am playing a game where I have multiple characters to level (i.e. Dragon Age or Mass Effect), I notice I will wait a long time before doing so.

It simply is not efficient to level up immediately. It seems like there is someone leveling up every few minutes (okay, not that frequently, but still), and it just yanks me out of immersion to have to constantly sit in their screen to distribute their points. Plus, honestly, I am totally inefficient with leveling in general because it demands so much executive function.

So, I usually wait until every member of my party is ready to level up, and then I handle them as a batch. It takes less time, and it means fewer interruptions in the story/gameplay. I’ll make an exception if there is a tough fight ahead and I need every strategic advantage I can get. Then I will level up anyone who is ready.

How about you? Do you like leveling? Or do you find it tedious/annoying like I do? Do you level right away, or do you wait to level until you can batch process your party?

The games I play where you level, it's automatic (FF8, Castlevania SOTN, etc.). You don't have a choice really. The closest I can think of would be Zelda 2. I save my points so I can level up several things at once. I stick with the mini battles (which takes a million years but still) because there's a decent amount of points to gain somewhat quickly, and there's no shortage of them.