Register Now
Dead2009

Silent Hill Series Getting 'Soft Reboot' With Two New Games, Report Says

https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hill-games-sequels-konami-pt-kojima-2020-leak

Two new Silent Hill games are in the works, according to a new report from a reliable leaker, via Eurogamer.

Twitter user Aesthetic Gamer was the first to drop the new report. Aesthetic Gamer is known for reliably leaking previous Capcom titles (although Silent Hill is developed and published by Konami), and divulged some details about the supposed two new Silent Hill games. According to Aesthetic Gamer, one game will be a “soft” reboot of the franchise while the other will be an episodic experience similar to Telltale games or Until Dawn.

“In other news while I'm dropping this stuff, and I think I can talk about this, I'll mention there is a couple new Silent Hill games in the works,” Aesthetic Gamer said. “Konami about two years ago reached out to various developers to pitch ideas for two Silent Hill games, one a soft-reboot of the franchise, the other an episodic TellTale/Until Dawn-style game to go alongside the reboot. I don't know anything more than that though, but I sure do hope Konami's given it the appropriate budget and found the right developer to make those games succeed.”

Aesthetic Gamer closed out their comments by saying that they don’t know anything more about the alleged Silent Hill games, just that they exist. They also said that they guess one or more of the games may be revealed this year.

One leaker’s information wouldn’t be that much to go on, but other signs do point to developments that bolster the case for a new Silent Hill game or two existing. Silent Hill 2 art director Masahiro Ito said that he was working on “a title as a core member. I hope the title won’t be canceled.”

Though Ito never confirmed as much, fans speculated that Ito’s “I hope the title won’t be canceled” comment could be a reference to Hideo Kojima’s infamously canceled Silent Hills game, which was preceded by the even more infamous P.T. (“Playable Teaser”) demo that spooked horror game fans back in 2014. For what it’s worth, Konami has also been spotted refiling Silent Hill trademarks that were about to lapse. Horror media site Rely on Horror also said that its own independent source also said a new Silent Hill game was in development.

And speaking of Kojima, the developer has seemingly waffled back and forth on whether or not he’d pursue a horror game after the cancelation of Silent Hills. Kojima posted a picture of his workspace, saying he was working on the concept for his next game. That said, don’t count on Kojima to work with Konami after their very public breakup following the release of Metal Gear Solid 5. He also seems to have his hands full with plans to develop smaller games, manga, and anime.

Konami told PCGamesN that the company is "considering ways to provide the next title," and IGN has confirmed with a Konami spokesperson further clarifying that "Konami is continually evaluating our entire IP portfolio for future development consideration."

9 hours ago, Dead2009 said:

Twitter user Aesthetic Gamer was the first to drop the new report. Aesthetic Gamer is known for reliably leaking previous Capcom titles (although Silent Hill is developed and published by Konami), and divulged some details about the supposed two new Silent Hill games. According to Aesthetic Gamer, one game will be a “soft” reboot of the franchise while the other will be an episodic experience similar to Telltale games or Until Dawn.

My confidence and faith in Konami to actually deliver a decent product is right at the bottom of the septic tank at this point.  The term "Soft Reboot" in this case is a by word for it's going to have little to nothing to do with the original and the reason the other one is episodic is so when the first part inevitably fails they won't have to bother finishing it.

13 hours ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

I never actually played silent hill all I know is its' a horror game is it any good?

The only one I've played was silent hill shattered memories, and its super freaky since you can only run, not fight. I havent played the main games though.