Register Now
stevenclark

How do video games affect the brain positively? Part 1

According to the buzz video games make up one the most popular forms of entertainment in the world today. These story telling experiences include all ages, demographics in multiple genres and serve many different platforms around the world. Now with the inclusion of augmented reality, simulated experiences have also shown the potential to be beneficial not only in the medical field but several other industries.

But with so many people out there living the best gaming experiences of their life, we come across this question. How does playing games affect the mind and where do we stand with our understanding of the gaming movement?

The current video game market revenue only in the US is estimated to be over $18.4 Billion; furthermore the revenue generated in North America through mobile games is projected to be around $10 Billion at the start of 2020.

We have seen people talk about video games on talk shows, radio, different social media platforms and have opinions that present a bleak picture about gaming but also a very hopeful one too. So, here are some different ways in which gaming increases the productivity of the mind.

Maintains Brain Equilibrium

Gamming improves the brain’s balance issues, believe or not the human ability to walk upright is an essential function maintained by the brain. So equilibrium is an ability that is greatly affected as the human gets older.

Playing video games can actually improve the balance and training your minds balancing ability is the best when exercised since a very early age. There have been studies conducted recently by the application of Virtual Reality and it was observed that the elderly has better results when placing their full weight on their back.

Focus Ability

If we talk about the condition dyslexia, it is a neurological condition that originates in the brain so as a result it gets harder for people to read, write and spell.

Video games work as potential relief for children who suffer from focus issues or similar disorders that affect the minds ability to focus. As playing games is mostly goal and achievement driven so it can enable the child to increase attention span at a faster pace.

An increase in the brains cognitive flexibility lets the human priorities the proper attention to the task in hand. This proves to be beneficial as a trained mind has the ability to shift focus from one concept to another and gaming is all about that.

As an example, playing real-time strategy games developed by different game development companies, it enables the player to adapt to the changes in the environment and progress to attain the best outcome possible.

16 hours ago, stevenclark said:

Video games work as potential relief for children who suffer from focus issues or similar disorders that affect the minds ability to focus. As playing games is mostly goal and achievement driven so it can enable the child to increase attention span at a faster pace.

I have focus difficulties as a result of OCD and poor executive function. I can definitely affirm that gaming is helpful with my focus issues. It helps to “re-hijack” the attention that OCD likes to grab and reroute, which probably works so well because gaming is goal-oriented and also gives my OCD completionist activities to fixate on.

Thanks for sharing what you’ve learned about video games and the brain. Do you have any personal stories to share about how gaming has helped you?

I used to use fighting games to destress, but that doesn't cut it for me anymore. Now I use games like Hatred to destress. I need the gore and complete disregard for human life. I play that while listening to bands like 6FU, Dimmu Borgir, Deicide, Marduk, Cradle Of Filth, Arch Enemy, Broken Hope, DevilDriver, Kreator, and Suicide Silence just to name a few. After that, I'm good.