Register Now
The Blackangel

Rac(ial/ist) Standup

What is your thought about racial/racist standup? Now by this I need to add a bit of context before you decide. What I'm asking is you see a comedian who is your own ethnicity. Chris Rock for black people, Gabriel Iglesias for Hispanic People, George Carlin for white people, etc. etc. When that person makes racist jokes towards their own race or uses racial slurs about their own race, do you laugh, whether you're the same race or not? Now flip it a bit. Do you laugh when that comedian makes racial/racist jokes about another race? Does it bother you in any way? The reason I'm asking is because the reason in their case is different. They're on stage trying to make people laugh. It's their job. They're not some random asshole running around calling people whatever slur is assigned to whatever race it is that they encounter on the street.

Take this George Calin clip as an example:

What do you think?

I've noticed that too. If a white person makes a joke about a black/Hispanic/Asian/ Arabic or whatever person, then here comes the pitchforks and torches. But If any race/ethnicity makes jokes about white people, then that's perfectly OK. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why are we banned from making jokes, but no one else is? I guess white people are the evil of society. Who's next?

Well, most comedians actually are more of the liberal type no matter the race, so they usually get away with it because it wasn't meant to be literal. But conservatives don't have many comedian outlets or shows and if they did it would undoubtedly be extremely offensive. For Christs sake, their humor is to threaten people and spread conspiracies. So as long as a white comedian has its fair share of a liberal audience, it will stay less literal and offensive. If it is a majority conservative audience, it will be more literal and offensive. Even a black comedian with an all black audience will probably take a white joke too far. So the audience is the key to keep things in balance. 

Dave Chappelle is one of the funniest comedians alive and he always makes racist jokes but the backlash never bothers him. There's nothing wrong with racist jokes really as some of those jokes we can all relate to or have noticed about other races. I just feel like some of these sensitive people need to stop taking some things so seriously. Comedy is supposed to make us laugh and comedians are entertainers, not role models or people to hold to any high standards. I mean, Dave Chappelle makes some jokes that are slightly concerning but I'm not going to say cancel him because of that. Back in the days, comedians could pretty much say anything and those were some of the funniest jokes I ever heard. There is way too much emphasis on the color of someone's skin nowadays (I'm a black man myself) and what you can/cannot say because of it.