Register Now
StaceyPowers

RP and Logic in MMOs

I was reminiscing with someone recently over an MMO we used to play like a decade ago, and I laughed when I found out that in some respects, the essential conflict is still the same.

Basically, most of the players kill villager NPCs to level up, which then re-spawn. But if one is trying to RP logically, the villagers must be treated like real people. Thus, one might feel compelled to wage a war over the villagers (if playing “good”). But then, all the other players complain that one is being unreasonable by protecting them.

This sort of thing drove me crazy back when I played. I just couldn’t get over how illogical and inconsistent it was to throw a fit in an RPG when someone (like me) behaves in an IC way by protecting the villagers. Yes, it makes leveling harder, but that’s an OOC complaint. But somehow, I could never get these people to grok that.

Does anyone else get annoyed when they see inconsistencies in how other players RP in MMOs?

Back when one of my friends was attempting to get me into World of WarCraft a few years back, I used to attempt to raid some relatively low level Horde town, expecting steep resistance. Mostly because that sort of thing is what I look for in an MMORPG most of the time, even though said friend isn't interested in the PvP aspects of these games. I knew I was in over my head, even when I brought a second guy, but we were going fine with hit & run tactics when some high level player (presumably a PvP veteran; my partner and I only had PvE gear, and PvE players usually lose in a straight fight with a PvP-equipped player of similar level) came by and wrecked us both.

So honestly, I'd be disappointed if some upstart player didn't show up to stop me razing a town if I was feeling like playing "bad guy" for a given day.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:02 AM, Executor Akamia said:

Back when one of my friends was attempting to get me into World of WarCraft a few years back, I used to attempt to raid some relatively low level Horde town, expecting steep resistance. Mostly because that sort of thing is what I look for in an MMORPG most of the time, even though said friend isn't interested in the PvP aspects of these games. I knew I was in over my head, even when I brought a second guy, but we were going fine with hit & run tactics when some high level player (presumably a PvP veteran; my partner and I only had PvE gear, and PvE players usually lose in a straight fight with a PvP-equipped player of similar level) came by and wrecked us both.

So honestly, I'd be disappointed if some upstart player didn't show up to stop me razing a town if I was feeling like playing "bad guy" for a given day.

Great story, and exactly on topic with what I was talking about. And a refreshing point of view too.

I actually originally was that newbie who was going and razing some low level town for XP in that same game. I didn’t even think about the bad RP logic. I was playing “evil,” but I hadn’t really thought that through in any meaningful fashion—it just looked like a cool guild to join and they were aligned that way.

A high level player came along and proceeded to disable me while lecturing me about the evil of my ways for the next five minutes before actually killing me =D It was the most “real” thing that had happened to me in the game, so I ended up switching sides and joining his cause. I ended up spending a ridiculous amount of time defending that village over the next RL year. Good times.