Register Now
Jayson

Building a Console

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If it's just a hobby, then like @Jayson said, I doubt anyone at the corporate level would notice. And if they did notice, I doubt they would care. All you would have to say if someone got their feathers ruffled, is that you were using their software as a prototype to make sure your design would work before you started getting your own games written and made compatible. Tell them that they would be credited for their system being so much assistance, and I'm sure that as long as they got a cut of the profits (assuming you went into production large or small) there wouldn't be any hard feelings.

I don't have the knowhow to do any of this so I can't offer much on the technical side. Actually I can't offer jack shit on the technical side. All I can do is make extremely simple YouTube videos.

How can prototypes be copyrighted/trademarked.  I mean at some basic level - all's the same.

10 hours ago, Jayson said:

How can prototypes be copyrighted/trademarked.  I mean at some basic level - all's the same.

They can be trademarked or copyrighted. Prototypes are still functional then they can be. Because they represent some sort of skeleton level of the content. 

Even if copyrights etc.. didn't exist - a person's own twist or direct copy cannot compete with the marketing of the real thing, normally.

Well, when Bill Gates copied Steve Jobs, he did have the marketing machine though - to truly anger Jobs.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, Jayson said:

Even if copyrights etc.. didn't exist - a person's own twist or direct copy cannot compete with the marketing of the real thing, normally.

Well, when Bill Gates copied Steve Jobs, he did have the marketing machine though - to truly anger Jobs.

Yep. That's true. In market it can't compete. But linux managed to get into OS market with open copying features to and from itself. So yeah other products can do after certain time.