Register Now
Joshua Farrell

Violent Games and Life

Some video games are well, very violent. Do you think they influence the players to be violent in real life?

I know there are people that are pretty suggestable when it comes to suggestions and impressions others make to them. I can see some violent games becoming issues for people who don't know how to distiguish a suggestion made from a game, and a real life in person suggestion made by someone else.

1 hour ago, Joshua Farrell said:

Some video games are well, very violent. Do you think they influence the players to be violent in real life?

NO!!  Absolutely not!  There have multiple studies that prove conclusively that there is no link between video games and violent behaviour and I'm completely sick of people that try to use video games as scapegoat.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

NO!!  Absolutely not!  There have multiple studies that prove conclusively that there is no link between video games and violent behaviour and I'm completely sick of people that try to use video games as scapegoat.

@Crazycrab is exactly right. Video Games have no affect on behavior with the exception of a child throwing a temper tantrum when told to shut the thing off. Gaming in no way makes a person violent. Why is it that people only want to pull this argument out of their ass? What about the games that teach children to be a better person? Don't they have the same place in the arguments against video games? Take This Link For Example. Where the hell is the argument now?

VIDEO GAMES DO NOT, WILL NOT, AND CAN NOT MAKE YOU VIOLENT. THE VIOLENCE WAS THERE PRIOR TO ANY VIDEO GAME.

Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, and Jack The Ripper didn't play video games.

37.jpg

Edited by The Blackangel

Talk about a over reaction. There are ofcourse studies on video games making people more aggressive. Then comparing historical figures to how they were already aggressive, when they didn't have video games is not the point. People will be aggressive, regardless of it, because like it or not, those historical figures you pointed out, did not have access to violent games, because the games we have now weren't invented then, due to the fact that consoles and computers weren't around, or weren't in widespread use. Just because most people who commit crimes don't play video games, doesn't mean that there isn't a small portion that may have been influenced by games.

By the way, here is a list of 10 crimes that were committed, that the people arrested, said that the games influenced them to commit the crimes: https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/

1 hour ago, Joshua Farrell said:

By the way, here is a list of 10 crimes that were committed, that the people arrested, said that the games influenced them to commit the crimes: https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/

Oh yeah, because the people most qualified to determine the quality of their mental health and what outside influences shaped their psychological profiles to drive them to commit their crimes are of course... the criminals themselves.

original.jpg

Edited by Crazycrab

I have an 8yo son who has played AC4 for at least 3 years. In life, he has not killed any ship captains or crew, plundered any ships nor hunted sharks and whales in that time because he has a strong grasp on reality. These criminals who blame video games for their psychotic behaviour are using that as an excuse to reduce their punishment. Many millions, if not billions play games. If we were all driven to kill because of them there would be literally nobody left. Frankly @Joshua Farrell, to believe that video games, or any entertainment media, instigate violence, means you're kinda stupid. Just because you can't play COD without feeling less respect for the sanctity of human life doesn't mean the rest of us are that unstable. Most of us can play these games, live in the fantasy, then when it's over, reconnect with reality and live our normal lives. If you can't, then that's your own VERY SERIOUS problem. Get help.

Edited by Shagger

6 minutes ago, Joshua Farrell said:

Oh wow, you people are really hopped mad on a single topic. This topic wasn't made for you to get hopping mad and start throwing crap at me. Get over your egos, and act civil. If you cannot act as adult, as an adult, then why reply to the topic in the first place?

Because adults are willing to learn. If you didn't want to receive what knowledge we were trying to impart, why did you ask for it in first place?

Edited by Shagger

Adults discuss stuff civilly. By calling me out as having issues for just creating a topic to discuss an issue, doesn't "promote discussion and impart knowledge".

As my opening posts asks, "Do you think they influence the players to be violent in real life?" That was the discussion item, not a item to start jumping at someone for even suggesting that there is a problem.

27 minutes ago, Joshua Farrell said:

Oh wow, you people are really hopped mad on a single topic. This topic wasn't made for you to get hopping mad and start throwing crap at me. Get over your egos, and act civil. If you cannot act as adult, as an adult, then why reply to the topic in the first place?

For years now politicians have been making these very unwarranted accusations against gaming and gamers to protect themselves and/or organisations that support them against backlash and action that might affect their wallets.  It's not just games either but also music, TV shows, movies and even books.  It's well known amongst the gaming community that is in spite of decades worth of evidence and studies that prove that is a complete it's a complete crock of crap that they, naturally just choose to ignore.  

So yeah, when you go onto a gaming forum and one of the first things you do is start a discussion throwing in that very bullshit is a bit like walking in a sports stadium being the only one wearing the rival teams shirt.  Some of us might get a little irritated.

Edited by Crazycrab

2 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

For years now politicians have been making these very unwarranted accusations against gaming and gamers to protect themselves and/or organisations that support them against backlash and action that might affect their wallets.  It's not just games either but also music, TV shows, movies and even books.  It's well known amongst the gaming community that this is in spite if decades worth of evidence and studies that prove that is a complete it's a complete crock of crap that they, naturally just choose to ignore.  

So yeah, when you go onto a gaming forum and one of the first things you do is start a discussion throwing in that very bullshit is a bit like walking in a sports stadium being the only one wearing the rival teams shirt.  Some of us might get a little defensive.

Now that is the type of reply I actually expected. Thank you. As I normally don't venture to discuss games I play, it is understandable that I would want to discuss those things that I don't know what others think about it.

There are also studies that show that video games do incite the aggressive behavior. And also cosnidering twitch stremers who trashtalk and also be negative SJW. You can see there is definitely connection with violence though people wish to deny.