Register Now
Joshua Farrell

Age of Empires

I am thinking of going to get myself Age of Empires. It has been awhile since I last played it. I have a few old copies of number 2 and the expansions, and was thinking of getting either the most recent release, or the last one with the one released before that. Any thing I should consider, before I get the latest game?

I haven't followed the releases of AOE, but if the latest one is AOE 3, don't waste your money. 3 was an abomination. One of the saddest things was that there were way too many expansion packs, and they didn't actually add anything to the game. I had the War Chiefs expansion, and it did nothing for the game. I 100% recommend going with AOE 2 and getting the Conquerors expansion. A great game, with a simple expansion. The best in the series so far that I'm aware of.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, The Blackangel said:

I haven't followed the releases of AOE, but if the latest one is AOE 3, don't waste your money. 3 was an abomination. One of the saddest things was that there were way too many expansion packs, and they didn't actually add anything to the game. I had the War Chiefs expansion, and it did nothing for the game. I 100% recommend going with AOE 2 and getting the Conquerors expansion. A great game, with a simple expansion. The best in the series so far that I'm aware of.

There have been two releases since: Age of Empires II: HD Edition and Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. I don't own Definitive yet, but HD Edition made some significant improvements to the game, and I've heard that Definitive takes them even further. Both are available on Steam.