Register Now
StaceyPowers

Speedruns

Do you watch speedrun videos? And do you participate in speedruns yourself? If so, what is the appeal?

I do think I see why speedruns are entertaining, just from a “check out what I managed to do” standpoint.

In general though, I’ve never really got into it, and I actually get really annoyed if there is a section of a video game which is essentially designed as a speedrun, where you have to get through an area within X minutes or start over.

Nope I normally watch trophy guides or once in a blue moon I'm stuck I'd watch a guide but to me speed running is pointless. Reason being is you could be rushing through a perfectly crafted game by a developer not enjoying the story mode whatsoever. That has to hurt developers who put there hard work sweat and tears into creating some games.

I think it's more of a "my dick is bigger than yours" kind of thing. People who consider themselves "professional" gamers are always looking for a new way to put themselves above the rest. So if they can play Zelda without collecting a single rupee, or get through Mario in 10 minutes or less, or some other bullshit then they are better than the next guy. And yes I watched a video on YouTube of a guy playing Zelda OoT and beating it without collecting a single rupee. It was interesting to say the least.

I echo the sentiments here. I admire speedrunners for the patience and still they need to exercise to accomplish the feats they do, but it's a way to play games that just defies the point of gaming in the first place. It's like those restaurants that offer some ridiculous portion of something you can have for free if you can eat the whoal thing, as impressive as it is to see somebody succeed, it's not what going out for a good meal is about.

12 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

There’s a place not too far from where I live that has a thing that if you can eat a 72 ounce steak (5 pounds) in an hour, it’s free. I can eat roughly 2 pounds of beef in one sitting, but definitely not 5.

That's not THAT big of a portion... for an Allosaurus, but a human being?

On 3/26/2020 at 7:13 PM, The Blackangel said:

There’s a place not too far from where I live that has a thing that if you can eat a 72 ounce steak (5 pounds) in an hour, it’s free. I can eat roughly 2 pounds of beef in one sitting, but definitely not 5.

Speed eating food that big? That's a new one.

Not around here it’s not. There’s hundreds of hotdog eating contests every year, and just about every steakhouse has some form of challenge. But then again, rednecks think that eating their weight in beef daily is the equivalent to a congressional Medal of Honor. So it’s normal around here.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, Shagger said:

I echo the sentiments here. I admire speedrunners for the patience and still they need to exercise to accomplish the feats they do, but it's a way to play games that just defies the point of gaming in the first place. It's like those restaurants that offer some ridiculous portion of something you can have for free if you can eat the whoal thing, as impressive as it is to see somebody succeed, it's not what going out for a good meal is about.

does it defy the point of gaming tho or is it just finding a different way to play a game? i feel same as u tho i don't get it really but i admire the focus it takes

2 minutes ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

does it defy the point of gaming tho or is it just finding a different way to play a game? i feel same as u tho i don't get it really but i admire the focus it takes

A fair point. Don't get me wrong, I do admire speedrunners and fully acknowledge the effort, patience and skill it takes to do what they do and I suppose it is a new way to play a game, except it kind of isn't. Now that I think about it's a bit of a throwback to the arcade days when high scores were everything. When I say's not what games are for, what I really mean is it's not what modern games are for. Arcade games were designed to be played that way, that was the appeal, but modern games are different. Speedruns don't appeal to me because it's a neglect of all the stuff about games today that I enjoy. Like said, huge kudus and admiration to the people who do this, it's impressive and good for them, but it's not for me to watch or attempt.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:53 AM, Shagger said:

A fair point. Don't get me wrong, I do admire speedrunners and fully acknowledge the effort, patience and skill it takes to do what they do and I suppose it is a new way to play a game, except it kind of isn't. Now that I think about it's a bit of a throwback to the arcade days when high scores were everything. When I say's not what games are for, what I really mean is it's not what modern games are for. Arcade games were designed to be played that way, that was the appeal, but modern games are different. Speedruns don't appeal to me because it's a neglect of all the stuff about games today that I enjoy. Like said, huge kudus and admiration to the people who do this, it's impressive and good for them, but it's not for me to watch or attempt.

i still think is entirely valid way to play. But i am like u bro i would be totally bored skipping past all the good stuff to get a “higher speed score!”