Register Now
StaceyPowers

What are some things that make you suspect you won’t like a game?

We’ve talked about games that we didn’t think we would like that we ended up getting into. I am pretty sure we also have probably talked about what criteria we use to pick a game to play, i.e. what we think will make us like a game.

But what makes you suspect that you won’t enjoy a particular game when you watch a trailer, read a description, or read a review?

In my case, I think what makes me shy away from a game are mentions of puzzles and/or a lack of discussion regarding story or characters (making me think that neither are relevant). Unless it is an open world game, in which case I don’t think I’ve ever suspected I wouldn’t enjoy one. I used to suspect I would dislike all third person perspective games, but I’ve since gotten used to them, so that is no longer a deterrent.

What deters you from becoming interested in a game—sometimes perhaps to your own detriment?

Guns. I’m a fan of medieval style games. Modern stuff just doesn’t hold my interest. I’ve played several games where the characters were in a modern world and the weapons they had access to were guns. They did nothing for me. But if the projectile weaponry you have are bows, but your main weapon is a blade, then there’s a good chance I’ll like it. Now that’s not to say I haven’t enjoyed a couple modern games. But they are few and far between.

I think when there are too many features and things are dragged. A lot of those time I'd say that even one level or spending few times into the world would get you bored. That's how you get idea on you won't like the game. 

There's a few things that turn me off when it comes to looking into a game I think I might enjoy.

1. POV - I'm 99% of the time not going to enjoy a game if it is in first person. The only game I particularly like that way is Minecraft. Others tend to bug me.
2. The amount of blood - I can't handle blood or extremely violent games, so when I either see it in a trailer or read about it, I generally avoid the game if it feels I won't handle it.
3. No plot - I love a plotline in games. If I read the description and see no plot at all, I'm more wary of it. Even most of my simulation games have a plot!

Those are the main things I can think of... I'm sure there's more though. 

On 3/17/2020 at 7:31 AM, Juneberry said:

1. POV - I'm 99% of the time not going to enjoy a game if it is in first person. The only game I particularly like that way is Minecraft. Others tend to bug me.

I'm typically not a fan of first person games either. I've played a few, but I can count the ones I actually liked on one hand. And I would still have fingers left over on that hand.

Good question. Thinking about it there are a couple things that turn me off. Characters that look like potato faces or poor detail and little graphics throws me off from getting into the game.  Scenes of running around pointlessly shooting and not much scenery turns me away big time. Difficulty turns me away. Ive heard Bloodborne was hard; played it; yes its hard and I stopped. One last thing is watching a clip of a character just walking around looking for stuff. I like to play, not puzzle around, or shoot aimlessly. 

What draws me in? Graphics, hot female character; I'm extremely tired of playing a male. It's always the same. Every male is always the biggest, baddest, toughest guy on the planet. It's old. Nothing like a strong beautiful female to play where you can switch with cool outfits. Don't need man chest, when you can have lady chest. Metal Gear Solid latest one is an exception. He's got stuff stuck in his head and scarred up. 

• First and foremost, any game that is multiplayer oriented and has no narrative driven single player campaign (except for driving sims)
  • Non-customizable player character will usually keep me away from RPGs, or at least give me reason to suspect I won't like the game.
  • Bullet sponge enemies are an immediate deal breaker
  • Games that are advertised as a "live service"
  • Excessive hype for a game that seems unjustified, for example Ghost of Tsushima, or that in-development Wukong game. When this kind of adulation happens I take two steps back and become very suspicious.
  • Terrible driving physics in any game that involves much driving
  • When the game tries to incorporate current day political messaging. Games are escapism, I play them to get my mind off of day to day issues, not to be reminded of them. There is twitter if you want to be a couch politician, no need to bring it into games. 
  • Taking sides: When a game doesn't just present events, but immediately passes judgement on them
  • No anchor in reality. I need at least basic laws of physics to apply even in fantasy games.

21 minutes ago, m76 said:

First and foremost, any game that is multiplayer oriented and has no narrative driven single player campaign (except for driving sims)

That would be like 90% of the games in 2020. Most of the mainstream games in the industry are multiplaer and lack the narrative as well. 

6 minutes ago, skyfire said:

That would be like 90% of the games in 2020. Most of the mainstream games in the industry are multiplaer and lack the narrative as well. 

You think I didn't notice? At least I don't have to spend much on games.