Register Now
StaceyPowers

The Last of Us HBO Show

28 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

They have debuted some new promo images showing members of the cast like Joel, Ellie Tess, and others:

https://www.eurogamer.net/hbos-the-last-of-us-debuts-new-cast-promo-images-including-joel-ellie-bill-and-frank

the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(7).jpg   the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(8).jpg

the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(1).jpg   marlene-hbo-tlou.jpg

There is more in the article if you want to check them out.

I think they are looking great!  Every bit as scruffy and miserable as they should be!  The article has some has interesting information in it to.  For one it confirms that where will be at least 3 brand new characters in it.  Marlon and Florence, a married couple living in post-apocalyptic Wyoming and Kathleen, the leader of revolutionary movement in Kansas City.  Thus suggesting that at points the show at times does narratively and geographically go in a different direction at times.

It also confirms that Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, who played Joel and Ellie in the games, will have cameo roles in the show.

Wow, I hadn't realised they've got Merle Dandridge back to play Maléne! That is so cool.

5 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

They have debuted some new promo images showing members of the cast like Joel, Ellie Tess, and others:

https://www.eurogamer.net/hbos-the-last-of-us-debuts-new-cast-promo-images-including-joel-ellie-bill-and-frank

the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(7).jpg   the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(8).jpg

the-last-of-us-hbo-posters-(1).jpg   marlene-hbo-tlou.jpg

There is more in the article if you want to check them out.

I think they are looking great!  Every bit as scruffy and miserable as they should be!  The article has some has interesting information in it to.  For one it confirms that where will be at least 3 brand new characters in it.  Marlon and Florence, a married couple living in post-apocalyptic Wyoming and Kathleen, the leader of revolutionary movement in Kansas City.  Thus suggesting that at points the show at times does narratively and geographically go in a different direction at times.

It also confirms that Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, who played Joel and Ellie in the games, will have cameo roles in the show.

Ah cool, I saw a couple of the posters the other day, but didn't see all of them. Saw the Joel, Ellie, Sam, & Henry posters. Didn't know Anna Torv was playing Tess, really cool. I liked her in Fringe and Mindhunter. 

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

Wow, I hadn't realised they've got Merle Dandridge back to play Maléne! That is so cool.

That's really cool, I had no idea she voiced the same character. I wonder if there are any of the other voice actors in the game that make an appearance as their original character. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's really cool, I had no idea she voiced the same character. I wonder if there are any of the other voice actors in the game that make an appearance as their original character

I'm not so confident of her acting skills but she did really well as a voice actor.

So now I am very curious to find out how well she Plays the role of Marlene in the last of us.

New trailer just dropped 2 hours ago, and it shows some more of the show. Honestly I'm sold on it. I'll be checking it out when it hits HBO next month. Also, props to them for using the games music near the end. I don't remember if they used the music in another trailer yet or not. 

Who's going to check it out day one? 

20 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I'm not so confident of her acting skills but she did really well as a voice actor.

So now I am very curious to find out how well she Plays the role of Marlene in the last of us.

Seriously, you need to pretending you know stuff before you make comments. If you had bothered to look her up or knew anything about her, you would know Merle Dandridge has had several roles on major TV shows like Sons of Anarchy and made her name on Broadway. We're talking about a multi-talented and professional actor. Not to mention that she's playing a character she already knows well having played her before.

Even if she was a voice actor, that you would doubt here ability her for being a "mere" voice actor is, quite frankly, insulting. Voice actors deserve more respect than that, especially from somebody who plays video games.

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

New trailer just dropped 2 hours ago, and it shows some more of the show. Honestly I'm sold on it. I'll be checking it out when it hits HBO next month. Also, props to them for using the games music near the end. I don't remember if they used the music in another trailer yet or not. 

Man, I am getting quite excited now. I must admit I was quite pessimistic at first, but wether I want to be or not I am very much riding the hype train.

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Man, I am getting quite excited now. I must admit I was quite pessimistic at first, but wether I want to be or not I am very much riding the hype train.

Yeah I was a bit worried about it as well when it was first announced, mainly because of how spotty of a track record game to movie/show adaptations are. But having HBO behind it, and the money too, has to help make this the best it can be. Also the cgi that I've seen so far, looks really good, which I'm surprised by, but I have a feeling they're using the same special effects team that was behind the Game of Thrones and some of their other shows. I have faith they'll do it justice. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

That was a rendition of "Take on Me" by a-ha, a song that I'm fairly sure was never featured in the game.  I agree that it's cool though.

This is starting to look really fucking good now!  I recognise some of the moments and locations from the game but It's clearly not the one-to-one remake I feared would be.  I think what we need now is a red band trailer of some kind, then we might hear Ellie speak for more than 5 seconds! 🤣

19 hours ago, Justin11 said:

A word of advice.  Next time you make a post just take 20 seconds to google something.  Even if it's completely unrelated to the topic like "Is the Tomato a fruit or a vegetable?" please just try it?

Edited by Crazycrab

22 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

That was a rendition of "Take on Me" by a-ha, a song that I'm fairly sure was never featured in the game.  I agree that it's cool though.

Actually, there is a point in TLOU Part II whare Ellie plays the song on guitar and sings it to Dana. Now that I think about it, there's no way that's a coincidence, it's probably a deliberate reference.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Kane99 said:

On 12/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Crazycrab said:

Well I just found out something very interesting!  As I mentioned earlier, the original voice and motion/performance capture actors for the two lead roles have smaller roles in the show.  Some eagle eyed fans have now noticed that both Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson can actually be seen in the trailer!  Both times it's only for a second or less but they both present some very interesting possibilities... and they might more than just the throw away cameo's like was originally thought!

Full credit to the people that were sharp enough to spot these, I sure wasn't!

https://www.latestly.com/socially/entertainment/tv/the-last-of-us-trailer-is-ashley-johnson-playing-ellies-mom-fans-spot-her-and-troy-baker-in-pedro-pascals-hbo-adaptation-of-the-playstation-game-4545879.html

Let's start with Troy Baker, you need to pause at about 1:53.  It really is only for a fraction of a second so the best way would be to go to about 1:51 and keep pausing.

image.thumb.png.abe9b10ec62d67e4d80ac307c1edfe20.png

You see a group of men walking in the snow who are presumably David and some of his men, one of whom standing behind and to David's right is clearly Baker.  Apparently Troy once said that if a live action adaptation of The Last of Us were to ever happen he would "want to be murdered by Joel".  I've no idea if he was serious or not but it looks he might have gotten his wish!  It might even be possible that Troy is one of the men that Joel interrogated when trying to find out Ellie's location after she was kidnapped by David, and as I'm sure as most of us are aware it doesn't end well for him.

Ashley Johnson's role is even more interesting, you need to go to about 1:32 - 1:33.

image.thumb.png.9baeeb46e33b6d83cf4b985d912ec171.png

You see a woman played by Johnson holding a newborn baby.  This has sent the fanbase into a tizzy!  Many are speculating the infant is Ellie as a newborn and Ashely Johnson is Ellie's mother Anna.  That would be an incredible bit of symbolism and a very touching act on the part of Ashley and the writers to have to original Ellie literally giving birth to the new one!

There's no evidence supporting these and these might turn out to be a completely different roles and/or situations in the show.  It has to be said though the idea the original Ellie giving birth to the next and the new Joel taking out the old has such a cool symmetry and makes to much sense to ignore.

What do the rest of you think of this?

Edited by Crazycrab

On 12/6/2022 at 11:35 PM, Crazycrab said:

Well I just found out something very interesting!  As I mentioned earlier, the original voice and motion/performance capture actors for the two lead roles have smaller roles in the show.  Some eagle eyed fans have now noticed that both Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson can actually be seen in the trailer!  Both times it's only for a second or less but they both present some very interesting possibilities... and they might more than just the throw away cameo's like was originally thought!

Full credit to the people that were sharp enough to spot these, I sure wasn't!

https://www.latestly.com/socially/entertainment/tv/the-last-of-us-trailer-is-ashley-johnson-playing-ellies-mom-fans-spot-her-and-troy-baker-in-pedro-pascals-hbo-adaptation-of-the-playstation-game-4545879.html

Let's start with Troy Baker, you need to pause at about 1:53.  It really is only for a fraction of a second so the best way would be to go to about 1:51 and keep pausing.

image.thumb.png.abe9b10ec62d67e4d80ac307c1edfe20.png

You see a group of men walking in the snow who are presumably David and some of his men, one of whom standing behind and to David's right is clearly Baker.  Apparently Troy once said that if a live action adaptation of The Last of Us were to ever happen he would "want to be murdered by Joel".  I've no idea if he was serious or not but it looks he might have gotten his wish!  It might even be possible that Troy is one of the men that Joel interrogated when trying to find out Ellies location after she was kidnapped by David, and as I'm sure as most of us are aware it doesn't end well for him.

Ashley Johnson's role is even more interesting, you need to go to about 1:32 - 1:33.

image.thumb.png.9baeeb46e33b6d83cf4b985d912ec171.png

You see a woman played by Johnson holding a newborn baby.  This has sent the fanbase into a tizzy!  Many are speculating the infant is Ellie as a newborn and Ashely Johnson is Ellie's mother Anna.  That would be an incredible bit of symbolism and a very touching act on the part of Ashley and the writers to have to original Ellie literally giving birth to the new one!

There's no evidence supporting these and these might turn out to be a completely different roles and/or situations in the show.  It has to be said though the idea the original Ellie giving birth to the next and the new Joel taking out the old has such a cool symmetry and makes to much sense to ignore.

What do the rest of you think of this?

Remember when Joel held two of David's men captive and played them of each other while torturing them? It would be so ironic to see Joel torture Troy Baker. For some reason I can actually see Troy playing specifically this guy...

Screenshot_3.thumb.png.f0082c87f8b32880558396c23281ae10.png

As for the idea of Ashly playing Anna, man I hope that's true. I do fear that might not be the case because I don't feel Ashley Johnson is immediately convincing as a mother to Bella Ramsey as the two really do look nothing alike, but I wouldn't care about that.

Edited by Shagger

Yeah I heard some of the voice actors are guest starring as other characters. I'm really glad they did that. Kinda wonder who else they will have hidden in the cast who were a part of the games. Wonder if any devs/producers were part of the background cast.