Register Now
StaceyPowers

The Last of Us HBO Show

People in the UK will be able to watch the show on Sky Atlantic. Unfortunatly it air at the same time as it does in America, meaning 2am BST on the 16nth. Bit of a pain, but it won't stop me from staying up to watch it.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:37 PM, m76 said:

I do not trust establishment reviewers. The more they praise it the more I'm concerned they are trying to hide something. I'd rather see it for myself.

Hiding what, exactly?

That's a strange thing to say anytime without any context, but it's especially strange on the back of what @Crazycrab posted. I'll give you the one from IGN, I understand why somebody wouldn't take them from thier word, but one of the reviews @Crazycrab posted was from a content creator, not a media outlet, and another was from the BBC. I don't know how much you know about the BBC, but suffice say they have nothing to gain by posting a false positive review for a show that will air on Sky in the UK. The BBC is public funded, it is not a commercial outlet, thus advertising is literally illegal on the BBC.

In short, I don't see what these outlets would want to hide, nor what they would have to gain by hiding it, so could you please elaborate?

EDIT: The Last of Us TV will ait 3am BST on Sky Atlantic, not 2am as previously stated.

Edited by Shagger
Correction to information

15 hours ago, m76 said:

I do not trust establishment reviewers. The more they praise it the more I'm concerned they are trying to hide something. I'd rather see it for myself.

Like @Shagger mentioned that's why I posted three reviews from very different sources.  A commercial media outlet (IGN), a publicly funded Broadcast company (BBC) and an independent YouTube content creator (Cody Leach).

On 1/11/2023 at 11:58 PM, Shagger said:

Hiding what, exactly?

If I knew that they wouldn't be hiding it very well. It's just that it always puts me on the back foot when something is universally praised as  the next coming. They did this for Rings of Power too pre-release, and it turned out terrible, I only watched the pilot episode.

That's a strange thing to say anytime without any context, but it's especially strange on the back of what @Crazycrab posted. I'll give you the one from IGN, I understand why somebody wouldn't take them from thier word, but one of the reviews @Crazycrab posted was from a content creator, not a media outlet, and another was from the BBC. I don't know how much you know about the BBC, but suffice say they have nothing to gain by posting a false positive review for a show that will air on Sky in the UK. The BBC is public funded, it is not a commercial outlet, thus advertising is literally illegal on the BBC.

The BBC is publicly funded which makes their often biased takes on entertainment media all the more egregious. If I remember correctly they were the one who published an article saying Luther the titular character in the is not stereotypical enough, because he doesn't eat traditional Jamaican food. Sure it might have not been the BBC's official stance, only one columnist, but this review is also someone's personal take.

In short, I don't see what these outlets would want to hide, nor what they would have to gain by hiding it, so could you please elaborate?

Simple, that it is not good, or that it is not a faithful adaptation. I mean there must be a reason why the showrunners said to Bella Ramsey not to play the game before filming. It might be just my naivety, but if you want a faithful adaptation her playing the game would surely be beneficial for that.

21 minutes ago, m76 said:

Simple, that it is not good, or that it is not a faithful adaptation. I mean there must be a reason why the showrunners said to Bella Ramsey not to play the game before filming. It might be just my naivety, but if you want a faithful adaptation her playing the game would surely be beneficial for that.

From what I understand they didn't want the cast to be pulling from to many sources outside the script that Neil Druckman and Craig Mazin prepared for the show, which I think makes sense.  Bella needs to do her interpretation of the character, not Ashley's.

Edited by Crazycrab

8 hours ago, m76 said:

If I knew that they wouldn't be hiding it very well. It's just that it always puts me on the back foot when something is universally praised as  the next coming. They did this for Rings of Power too pre-release, and it turned out terrible, I only watched the pilot episode.

Wait, so you are claiming that they are "hiding something" not only without proof, but without even so much a theory of what that could be?

419456958_giphyokay.gif.2a02704272640194cf99cfa52df5d6b8.gif

8 hours ago, m76 said:

The BBC is publicly funded which makes their often biased takes on entertainment media all the more egregious. If I remember correctly they were the one who published an article saying Luther the titular character in the is not stereotypical enough, because he doesn't eat traditional Jamaican food. Sure it might have not been the BBC's official stance, only one columnist, but this review is also someone's personal take.

Given your history on VGR it long been the case that anything you have to say on the issues of diversity, inclusion and race carry no weight whatsoever, but it's still good practice to provide some context and show what it is you were on about. Or maybe this was an attempt to twist the words as the word "stereotypical" is nowhere to found in the actual quote from the person who aid it? Whatever the case, here's the original article from HipHopWired.com for everyone to check out.

It was certainly a poor choice of words from the BBC's Deputy Diversity Chief Miranda Wayland (Not a columnist, by the way.), but I believe the point she was trying to get across was that she felt the character didn't reflect the true culture of what it is be black in modern Britain as well they could have. I'm not black and nor have I seen the show, so can't offer an opinion on whether or not I think she's right, but like I said to me this was a bad choice of words rather than bad intentions or purpose. And with all due respect, if I had to take her word or yours over this issue, I would take hers.

Not to mention that none of this has anything to do with the BBC's review of The Last of Us TV show. Miranda Wayland Doesn't even work for BBC anymore, apparently she took a job with Amazon Studios Europe last year (Source).

8 hours ago, m76 said:

What @Crazycrab said pretty much sums it up. 

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

From what I understand they didn't want the cast to be pulling from to many sources outside the script that Neil Druckman and Craig Mazin prepared for the show, which I think makes sense.  Bella needs to do her interpretation of the character, not Ashley's.

And I think this is especially important for an actress who isn't American and thus can't user her born, natural accent to not let her performance be too heavily diluted by the work Ashley did. What Neil Druckmann and the rest of the team surely want out of Bella Ramsey is to honour the original, but bring a performance all of her own, and that's what we as fans want as well.

Edited by Shagger