Register Now
StaceyPowers

The Last of Us HBO Show

As I just learned from @kingpotato, there is going to be a TV show on HBO based on The Last of Us. As best I can tell, it will specifically follow Ellie and Joel’s story, rather than being something else set in the same universe.

My question to everyone here is, what do you all think about this?

My initial reaction to putting TLOU on a screen (other than a video game screen is) is that it seems superfluous. I can’t imagine any movie or TV show based on TLOU getting anywhere near the intensity of the video game. Any other medium just sounds like a downgrade.

But I am reassured that Neil Druckmann will be an executive producer and that he will do some writing on the series. If I’m not mistaken, even he seemed skeptical about adapting the game as a movie in the past. Being as he’s enthused about this—and an amazing writer—that is enough to convince me that it may be worth it after all. As a writer, I’ve learned so much from him, and I think this is a way I could learn more.

There also could be ways to use this to fill in gaps and give us something other than just an overview of events we have played through. For example, there is a huge chunk of missing time between the escape from Pittsburgh and arrival at Jackson. There is no way that it was just an easy straight shot across the country. Just as Left Behind filled in a couple of time gaps, this could too. And just as Left Behind gave us more background on Ellie’s past (which I think is 100% essential to a full understanding and appreciation of the main game), this series could also tell us a lot more about both characters’ pasts.

Are you excited about the HBO show? What would you want to see from the show? How could it add to the story and stand on its own rather than just being superfluous next to the game?

My girlfriend told me about it, and honestly I think this thing is doable as it doesn't involve too much crazy stuff. Like the more complicated a game is the worse it translates to the movies. Warcraft was good cuz they were able to keep all the dragon battles and big bosses away from the movie, so they didn't have to us CGI a lot and make it look like complete garbage (lookin' at you Live Action Movie of Full Metal Alchemist).

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I think "the last of us", "darksiders", "devil may cry", "left 4 dead" seems to have either TV series or the movie like worthy story. 

I don't see these two adapting to live action very well, they would kick ass in amimation though!

On the topic at hand, for many of the same reasons dicussed in this thread I'm not really that exited.  The Last of Us made such great use of the interactivivity of the media to tell it's story and immerse the audience.  That's something a TV show or movie could never really do.

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't see these two adapting to live action very well, they would kick ass in amimation though!

On the topic at hand, for many of the same reasons dicussed in this thread I'm not really that exited.  The Last of Us made such great use of the interactivivity of the media to tell it's story and immerse the audience.  That's something a TV show or movie could never really do.

I could see DMC getting a good movie out...but the cost would probably beat every movie out right now, heavy CGI needs to happen for it to be good, and yet even after that no one will make it as it might be considered a small niche market. Like WOW did good cuz they had a lot of fans DMC isn't that big.

4 minutes ago, Shole said:

I could see DMC getting a good movie out...but the cost would probably beat every movie out right now, heavy CGI needs to happen for it to be good, and yet even after that no one will make it as it might be considered a small niche market. Like WOW did good cuz they had a lot of fans DMC isn't that big.

I was actully thinking more 2D animation, in the same style of Netflix's Castlevainia or Attack on Titan or somthing.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

I was actully thinking more 2D animation, in the same style of Netflix's Castlevainia or Attack on Titan or somthing.

That could work really good actually. Yeah I got it confused a lil bit, as I automatically think of CGI when it comes to animation (dunno why even tho am a huge animu fan).

The Last of Us hopefully will prevail to make anything too boring, as long as they work with the writers that helped the game and maybe some devs, it might end up being great.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, Crazycrab said:

Anime directors have knack of writing good stories if you give them chance so those two have a chance. I think devil may cry was even attempted with one such 3 episode anime plot. It wasn't bad. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:12 PM, Crazycrab said:

The anime of Devil My cry on Netflix was pretty good 😁 but yeah I dont think a live action about DMC would work.

Going back to TLOU, I'm skeptical but still excited, its probably going to be  a short series (I hope) and its being made by HBO which is not the best reliable considering what happened with game of thrones, but at least its not Netflix, and netflix will always fuck up live actions.

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think they need different story and maybe also different characters than typical hollywood and typical netflix SJW stuff. In that case that would be more of deep stuff if they attempt something like that.

If you had played the game you would know TLOU is neither typical Hollywood nor the so called "SJW pandering" (I'm really getting quite sick of "gamers" banding any form of diversity as "SJW pandering". The same straight white man stories with the same straight white men doing the same straight white man things we've seen a million times is "creative liberty", but anything that deviates from that has to political for some reason, it's fucking stupid).  However, I am interested on what you would do to make TLOU "deeper" because that's quite the bar you've set.

Edited by Shagger

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think they need different story and maybe also different characters than typical hollywood and typical netflix SJW stuff. In that case that would be more of deep stuff if they attempt something like that.

So... What is it you want it to be exactly?  The President building a wall to keep the infected out?

The story of the Last of Us primarily about the evolution of the relationship between Joel and Ellie.  If the HBO series isn't about them then it isn't an adaptation of the scorce material, it's whole other story set in the same universe.

On topic though, these kinds of adaptations normally make me pessimistic, but this looks promising. It's good that it's a TV show and not a movie. HBO I think is a good network to take this on, especially with Neil Druckmann being so closely involved. The one thing I'm not sure of is why this series needed to be made as an adaptation for what's already a very story-centric game. It's not like the Sonic movie and other such adaptations that have a lot of room for creative liberty, nor The Witcher series on Netflix as both the game and series was based on other source material, so a plausible case could be made that this adaptation is kinda pointless. As a fan, it is still excited for this, but I still can't help but wonder why someone would want this show bad enough to be excited, but are not willing to play the game.

Edited by Shagger

On 3/13/2020 at 3:42 AM, Crazycrab said:

So... What is it you want it to be exactly?  The President building a wall to keep the infected out?

The story of the Last of Us primarily about the evolution of the relationship between Joel and Ellie.  If the HBO series isn't about them then it isn't an adaptation of the scorce material, it's whole other story set in the same universe.

Oh why not president building wall is still reasonable than bunch LGBT crap shoved in peoples canon stories. 

How HBO takes tangent from canon without much adding the trendy crap would decide the future any way. 

On 3/13/2020 at 3:35 AM, Shagger said:

If you had played the game you would know TLOU is neither typical Hollywood nor the so called "SJW pandering" (I'm really getting quite sick of "gamers" banding any form of diversity as "SJW pandering". The same straight white man stories with the same straight white men doing the same straight white man things we've seen a million times is "creative liberty", but anything that deviates from that has to political for some reason, it's fucking stupid).  However, I am interested on what you would do to make TLOU "deeper" because that's quite the bar you've set.

You can go ahead and tolerate the SJW and LGBT crap. I have no tolerance for that nor  I have too or ever need to, i'll always stand against that and will make sure my community does too. I don't mind white men everywhere thing in gaming and movies but I have no tolerance for LGBT and SJW crap. PS: take it from the guy from minority community. 

Edited by skyfire

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

Oh why not president building wall is still reasonable than bunch LGBT crap shoved in peoples canon stories. 

How HBO takes tangent from canon without much adding the trendy crap would decide the future any way. 

You can go ahead and tolerate the SJW and LGBT crap. I have no tolerance for that nor  I have too or ever need to, i'll always stand against that and will make sure my community does too. I don't mind white men everywhere thing in gaming and movies but I have no tolerance for LGBT and SJW crap. PS: take it from the guy from minority community. 

So you're a full on homophobe then. I don't understand people like you. I don't see how the fact two people who love, respect and trust each other hurts you just because they're the same gender. But whatever, you be the horrid, prejudiced, disgusting you that you want to be, but no opinion you have on the subject will be taken seriously by me.

I'll give you one piece of advice though, if you hate gay people and that "SJW crap" that much, stay away from TLOU and especially it's Left Behind DLC and you'll almost certainly want to avoid THOU part 2 as well. All games that feature female leads and/or gay characters and/or female characters that are not just obedient dish washers or made purely for the spank bank. So also avoid the Mass Effect series, the Dragon Age series, the Life is Strange games, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Metal Gear Solid Games Control, Metrioid, Tomb Raider, pick the "right" COD's and Assassin Creed games, Skyrim, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher games, Final Fantasy, Tales of Berseria, Detriot: Become Human, Until Dawn, Beyond: Two Souls... actually just Play Duke Nukem Forever quite literally forever because nobody is making games for you any more.

Edited by Shagger