Register Now
StaceyPowers

The Last of Us HBO Show

It's so odd when they try to take video games to other media. I always think of Tomb Raider. where they made Angelina Jolie into Lara Croft. I guess it could work, but usually the people creating the other media don't really understand video games well.

Edited by MeowsePad

21 minutes ago, MeowsePad said:

It's so odd when they try to take video games to other media. I always think of Tomb Raider. where they made Angelina Jolie into Lara Croft. I guess it could work, but usually the people creating the other media don't really understand video games well.

That was certainly true in the 90's and into the 2000's. Most movie producers and movie directors were of a generation that didn't grow up with video games and the idea of video games telling stories to compare in quality to movies and TV shows wasn't really a reality. Things are changing, though imo. Games as a creative entertainment media are taken more seriously now than they were even a few years ago, so these adaptations are getting better.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, skyfire said:

If that happens then god bless my eyes. tolerated a lot of that crap on netflix. 

What is your problem? Since I doubt that someone has strapped you to a chair and forced to watch the LGBT friendly content on Netflix "A Clockwork Orange" style, what is the point of this unceasing complaining about it? Netflix's content has nothing to do with the topic at hand anyway and none of us agree with nor give a shit about your homophobic ranting. You've clearly never played the game and most likely never will, something that's probably true of the sequel as well, so you've got noting of value to bring to this topic in the first place. So please, spare us your poison and direct your attention to other threads where you might have something to offer.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, JoyFreak said:

I am very much looking forward to this series since playing the first one in the franchise. I also heard the writer will be keeping Ellie as gay to spread LGBT awareness. 

I figured he was keeping her gay for the simple consistently.  I don't think they really need to use the show to "spread LGBT awareness" and to be honest, The Last of Us is not really a great story to do that with.  It's a society where along with these types of social and political stigma that come with it with regards to sexuality, race and so on has effectively broken down.  Most people in this would happily kill you for a fresh pair of shoes, there are bigger, or at least more direct problems! That's why the game doesn't put hardly any focus on in it, hell the fact that Ellie is gay wasn't even addressed at all until the Left Behind DLC came out.

Like I said earlier The Last of Us is a story about the relationship between Joel and Ellie and how it evolves as they journey together. We see Joel learn to love and care again, something he has been struggling to do since the loss of his daughter.  Likewise we see Ellie, a young girl who is fiercely independent and stubborn learn to trust and open up to him. That's what the Last of Us is about, it doesn't need a ton of focus on Ellie's sexuality, at least not in this story.

Now the sequel (judging from the trailers anyway) does seem to be putting a bit more focus on it but we don't know exactly how that's going play out yet.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, skyfire said:

If that happens then god bless my eyes. tolerated a lot of that crap on netflix. 

hope this helps:

https://www.netflix.com/CancelPlan

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some music:

On 3/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, Crazycrab said:

The Last of Us is not really a great story to do that with.  It's a society where along with these types of social and political stigma that come with it with regards to sexuality, race and so on has effectively broken down.  Most people in this would happily kill you for a fresh pair of shoes, there are bigger, or at least more direct problems!

Actually, to me, there's arguably no better way to make such a point. Because we do have real problems as a species to deal with, and it's time that those stigmas broke down IRL. Seeing how absolutely irrelevant Ellie's sexuality is in TLOU actually is a great demonstration of how irrelevant that stuff ultimately should be IRL after everyone drops their stupid prejudices.

Anyway, very nice post :)

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Actually, to me, there's arguably no better way to make such a point. Because we do have real problems as a species to deal with, and it's time that those stigmas broke down IRL. Seeing how absolutely irrelevant Ellie's sexuality is in TLOU actually is a great demonstration of how irrelevant that stuff ultimately should be IRL after everyone drops their stupid prejudices.

Anyway, very nice post 🙂

So the irrelevance makes it, well relevant.  That's actually a great point. Ellie being gay doesn't make any difference and that's the way it should be.

I would say it would be great to have to these barriers break without the world ending but let's face it!   In just the first few months of this year, the US tried to start World War 3, half of Australia has been on fire and now there is a global pandemic where people are going bonkers over bog roll.

I think it's time all people, regardless of nationality, political standpoint, religions beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or race stand together and declare in one voice!......(LINK)

Edited by Crazycrab

@StaceyPowers

There has been several topic created to discuss TLOU TV series and new ones seems to get posted every time there's a bit of news, so I've decided to just merge this new topic into one of the existing threads and encourage you to try and use this thread to post new info on the TV show going forward.

But yeah, the image is not much to go on, but still hyped for this.

42 minutes ago, Shagger said:

@StaceyPowers

There has been several topic created to discuss TLOU TV series and new ones seems to get posted every time there's a bit of news, so I've decided to just merge this new topic into one of the existing threads and encourage you to try and use this thread to post new info on the TV show going forward.

But yeah, the image is not much to go on, but still hyped for this.

Noted 🙂